Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeS.7456

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
Thinking of getting a iPhone 6 for one of my family members who is very hard of hearing.

Is the call quality on the 6 good enough both via earpiece and speakerphone ?

How loud is the ringer ?

Thank you for your time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's fairly loud with the volume maxed. Truthfully, if you're looking for something loud, the iPhone 7 has stereo speakers (Much improved/louder) over the iPhone 6. I Understand you're looking at the iPhone 6, but it's worth looking into for speaker volume and ringer.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's fairly loud with the volume maxed. Truthfully, if you're looking for something loud, the iPhone 7 has stereo speakers (Much improved/louder) over the iPhone 6. I Understand you're looking at the iPhone 6, but it's worth looking into for speaker volume and ringer.
Are people noticing much of a difference when it comes to ringer and notifications? It's been more or less the same for me. Speakerphone can be a bit louder at times and even the earpiece volume, but I can't say that the ringer/notifications volume has really been different.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Are people noticing much of a difference when it comes to ringer and notifications? It's been more or less the same for me. Speakerphone can be a bit louder at times and even the earpiece volume, but I can't say that the ringer/notifications volume has really been different.

You should try side by side comparisons with the iPhone 7 and any other iPhone. I can tell a huge difference. I use my 6s Plus and 7 Plus daily. It's not even a comparison between the two how the 7 Plus sounds over the 6s Plus with ringer/notifications. The sound emanating from the 7 Plus is superior.

That said, I will say the 7 Plus does sound stronger over the iPhone 7 as well, being I think the volume is somewhat more increased with a larger speaker/earpiece over the smaller variant. ( I would have to refer to iFixit teardown between iPhone 7/iPhone 7 Plus to confirm if the speakers are different in sizes.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You should try side by side comparisons with the iPhone 7 and any other iPhone. I can tell a huge difference. I use my 6s Plus and 7 Plus daily. It's not even a comparison between the two how the 7 Plus sounds over the 6s Plus with ringer/notifications. The sound emanating from the 7 Plus is superior.

That said, I will say the 7 Plus does sound stronger over the iPhone 7 as well, being I think the volume is somewhat more increased with a larger speaker/earpiece over the smaller variant.
I've had a 6 in the family for a little while after I got my 7, and to me they both sounded essentially the same as far as ringer/notifications went, which is kind of what prompted my original question about it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've had a 6 in the family for a little while after I got my 7, and to me they both sounded essentially the same as far as ringer/notifications went, which is kind of what prompted my original question about it.

Maybe I just have really astute hearing. But I certainly noticed a difference. I forgot to mention, I actually owned the iPhone 7 and now I own iPhone 7 Plus. I definitely believe the speaker drivers are larger in the 7+ over the smaller versions, which undoubtedly sounds better in the Plus version. iFixit teardowns would likely confirm for both models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.