Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I'm a big fan of using laptops with extenal monitors when in an office.

In my new job I have been offered the choice of a new mid-range Dell/HP, or a base model MBP 13". The idea is that the workers will move around the building and hook up their laptops to various available USB-C displays. These will be 24 inch 1920 x 1080 IPS displays i.e. decent but low PPI.

I am seriously thinking of picking the Dell/HP, as Win 10 Cleartype can be tweeked to give excellent text sharpness on low-res displays. Since Apple removed subpixel antialising about 5 years ago, this is just not possible on OS X.

Does anyone regularly do coding/document editing hooking up their MBP to an external low-res display, and can you comment on text quality?

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
I am running a 32" 1440p screen. Text still looks unsharp and slightly pixelated. Nothing changed in that department. I kind of got used to it so it doesn't bother me much, but if you want crisp text without workarounds like better dummy, there is no way around buying a 4k screen at the moment.

Reactions: dallegre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.