Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhnvkmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Jaipur, India
Apple advertises 16 days of standby for 7 Plus on its website but I don't feel getting that much. Though I can't test it for that long because I use it a lot. But I lose 4-5% overnight (WiFi on, 4 dots signal, DND on, no notifications) over 8 hours which is a far cry from 16 days standby. 15%/day adds up to 6-7 days of standby. It's not bad but it's not what I was expecting from a Plus model either. Battery on usage is fine. 8-9 hours of usage in a day and I'm at 20%.

I have Background App Refresh on for just WhatsApp, Outlook and Gmail. Location Services is on but for only while using. I switched back to iOS from a Nexus 5 which had its battery issues. I got a Plus model so that I would not have to care about battery once again but it doesn't seem like it. My iPad 4 would not lose any battery over Wi-Fi either.

So, how is it going for you guys when you're sleeping?

P.S.: Leaving your phone at 100% will definitely be at the same level when you wake up. It takes a good amount of active usage to drop to 99% too.

tbuzleski

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Apple advertises 16 days of standby for 7 Plus on its website but I don't feel getting that much. Though I can't test it for that long because I use it a lot. But I lose 4-5% overnight (WiFi on, 4 dots signal, DND on, no notifications) over 8 hours which is a far cry from 16 days standby. 15%/day adds up to 6-7 days of standby. It's not bad but it's not what I was expecting from a Plus model either. Battery on usage is fine. 8-9 hours of usage in a day and I'm at 20%.

I have Background App Refresh on for just WhatsApp, Outlook and Gmail. Location Services is on but for only while using. I switched back to iOS from a Nexus 5 which had its battery issues. I got a Plus model so that I would not have to care about battery once again but it doesn't seem like it. My iPad 4 would not lose any battery over Wi-Fi either.

So, how is it going for you guys when you're sleeping?

P.S.: Leaving your phone at 100% will definitely be at the same level when you wake up. It takes a good amount of active usage to drop to 99% too.

3-4%

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
They probably base the 16 days on with the iPhone having no apps other than the ones that come with the iPhone; that's just my guess.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
seems like mine is around 4-5%? I use my phone heavily, and it lasts about a day and a quarter before I have to recharge.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I lose 0% overnight on my 7Plus. All apps closed, BAR only on for 2 apps, WiFi-Calling enabled, 1 bar of service, BT, Nightshift and DND on.

abhnvkmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Jaipur, India
Standby Time Tests
Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus units and software, on both GSM and CDMA carrier networks. All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Hey Siri was not enabled. When Hey Siri is enabled, standby time is up to 9 days on iPhone 7 and 15 days on iPhone 7 Plus.

from http://www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html

Reactions: Jetcat3

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Standby Time Tests
Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus units and software, on both GSM and CDMA carrier networks. All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Hey Siri was not enabled. When Hey Siri is enabled, standby time is up to 9 days on iPhone 7 and 15 days on iPhone 7 Plus.

from http://www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html

You ignored the part that says results will vary.

Reactions: AppleB

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Dig. Test vary. My 7 Plus is great overnight. If the phone is at 50% when I go to bed it's always good to go for the next day. I have no idea how much the battery drains because whatever the percentage is it's not posing a problem.

abhnvkmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Jaipur, India
You ignored the part that says results will vary.
I agree but my estimates are less than half.

Dig. Test vary. My 7 Plus is great overnight. If the phone is at 50% when I go to bed it's always good to go for the next day. I have no idea how much the battery drains because whatever the percentage is it's not posing a problem.
My OCD doesn't let me enjoy the phone. I'll keep checking Settings > Battery then. I also switched back from a Nexus 5 so monitoring battery has become a habit. ;)

I erased the phone and set it up as a new iPhone. Left it overnight without an iCloud account and any third party apps. Went from 30% to 27% over 7 hours (WiFi was on, but with no apps or mail). May be it's iOS or even the phone.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

And my estimates are double. If I don't touch my phone, it doesn't drop from 100% to 99% for 18+ hours. Now I know that's not scientific, but neither are your tests or even Apple's for that matter. Everything is an estimate and they cover themselves by saying "up to xx hours".

abhnvkmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Jaipur, India
And my estimates are double. If I don't touch my phone, it doesn't drop from 100% to 99% for 18+ hours. Now I know that's not scientific, but neither are your tests or even Apple's for that matter. Everything is an estimate and they cover themselves by saying "up to xx hours".
I know that...but compared to my dad's iPhone or other people's, I always find it low. BTW I did that too. For me it dropped to 99% in 10 hours.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I know that...but compared to my dad's iPhone or other people's, I always find it low. BTW I did that too. For me it dropped to 99% in 10 hours.

There are way too many factors to compare other's iPhones to your own. There are dozens of settings under location services, such as system services, frequent locations and more that can drastically alter battery life.

abhnvkmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Jaipur, India
There are way too many factors to compare other's iPhones to your own. There are dozens of settings under location services, such as system services, frequent locations and more that can drastically alter battery life.

Once, I had location services at "only while using", System services (all disabled but 4), frequent locations disabled and basically every battery-friendly settings but it didn't make much difference. Then I reverted all because what's the point when I have a charger always around me? I should not have to disable every service which makes the experience. I also have a cellular+WiFi iPad which does better than what Apple has rated it. Yesterday when I put my phone at 50% brightness, the battery started ticking down every few minutes that's what triggered me to set it up as clean to test standby with minimal apps. I have gone from 112 apps to 10 essential ones now.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Time to figure out what is draining your battery then.

My OCD doesn't let me enjoy the phone. I'll keep checking Settings > Battery then. I also switched back from a Nexus 5 so monitoring battery has become a habit. ;)

Unless you've been diagnosed by a doctor, you aren't OCD.

Turn off the percentage indicator and just enjoy your phone. Mine makes it through the day with battery to spare, and I plug it in to charge it at night. Is charging while you sleep not an option?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Once, I had location services at "only while using", System services (all disabled but 4), frequent locations disabled and basically every battery-friendly settings but it didn't make much difference. Then I reverted all because what's the point when I have a charger always around me? I should not have to disable every service which makes the experience. I also have a cellular+WiFi iPad which does better than what Apple has rated it. Yesterday when I put my phone at 50% brightness, the battery started ticking down every few minutes that's what triggered me to set it up as clean to test standby with minimal apps. I have gone from 112 apps to 10 essential ones now.

T5BRICK makes a good point. It could be an app. Do you use Facebook or Messenger? Even with background refresh and notification off and with the app closed out in the background, these apps are notorious for draining your battery.

abhnvkmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Jaipur, India
Time to figure out what is draining your battery then.

Unless you've been diagnosed by a doctor, you aren't OCD.

Turn off the percentage indicator and just enjoy your phone. Mine makes it through the day with battery to spare, and I plug it in to charge it at night. Is charging while you sleep not an option?

Yesterday I erased and set it up as new. From draining 5% over 8 hours before erasing, now it went down 3% over 7 hours (on WiFi but with no apps installed or iCloud). With nothing installed/configured it's still only marginally better,

Active usage is fine, if I use it heavily. 8-9 hours usage with no games or YouTube. YouTube empties it in 5 hours from 100% to 5% but that is expected. It's standby what's getting into me. I went to my parents' for a week and hardly touched my phone for that time. It died on every 4th day. That's when I checked the marketed standby rating.

I always have a charger/powerbrick around but I would like to know what's going on with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.