Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_Andrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
Hey everyone :)
This month I decided to jump on the M1 train and ordered an M1 iMac with 8 Core CPU/8 Core GPU, 16 GB RAM and 512 GB of SSD storage.
I live in the UK and I ordered the iMac last monday but according to Apple's website it still says "Processing". Since I never got a new Mac directly from Apple I was wondering how long does it usually take for Apple to ship the computer.

On the other hand, because this iMac will replace my old 2011 iMac, I'm considering selling it on eBay. Since its no longer a stock config iMac because it has 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD, I was hoping to get an idea on how much I should ask for such old mac.

Thank you :)

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Every time I ordered from Apple, they gave me a date as to when to expect it. That’s generally been accurate. I could probably look up how long it took me them to ship to me, but that probably wouldn’t be relevant to you because it was a while ago, and it was to the USA. So many things change when it comes to manufacturing.

As to what to charge on eBay, I would just search for your model and see what’s selling. Since it’s a 2011 model you might not get too much.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
When you placed the order what was the estimated shipping date? Normally if you look up the order it shows the estimated shipping date.

With the chaos in China right now I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed.

There are a lot of posts about ebay scams, although there are reports of successful sales as well. Be careful. If you are willing to take the $ hit sell through a reputable 3rd party reseller.

Mac_Andrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
Every time I ordered from Apple, they gave me a date as to when to expect it. That’s generally been accurate. I could probably look up how long it took me them to ship to me, but that probably wouldn’t be relevant to you because it was a while ago, and it was to the USA. So many things change when it comes to manufacturing.

As to what to charge on eBay, I would just search for your model and see what’s selling. Since it’s a 2011 model you might not get too much.
Yep exactly hence why I'm not expecting much, but at the same time I don't wanna sell it for almost "free".
According to Apple's tracking it says it's due on the 5th of December.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yep exactly hence why I'm not expecting much, but at the same time I don't wanna sell it for almost "free".
According to Apple's tracking it says it's due on the 5th of December.
I’ve had good luck with Apple’s shipping dates being accurate but of course if there’s some issues going on in China that could change things. I know there’s issues with the iPhone plant in Zhengzhou but I think the Mac is made in Shenzhen.

As to your older Mac, I wouldn’t expect much. I could be wrong but usually something that old doesn’t get much interest unless it becomes a collectible. It’s at the age of not really being usable for modern purposes unless you put Chrome OS on it. I’ve heard of some of the older iMacs having the ability to be used as an external monitor, so perhaps that something you could look into.

Mac_Andrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
I’ve had good luck with Apple’s shipping dates being accurate but of course if there’s some issues going on in China that could change things. I know there’s issues with the iPhone plant in Zhengzhou but I think the Mac is made in Shenzhen.

As to your older Mac, I wouldn’t expect much. I could be wrong but usually something that old doesn’t get much interest unless it becomes a collectible. It’s at the age of not really being usable for modern purposes unless you put Chrome OS on it. I’ve heard of some of the older iMacs having the ability to be used as an external monitor, so perhaps that something you could look into.
My old iMac believe it or not, despite the fact its "stuck" on High Sierra (unless I upgrade the GPU to support metal) it runs really really well. I'm a Web developer and I used docker (which sadly dropped support for HS hence why Im getting a new Mac), worked perfectly with a speedy SSD and plenty of RAM. As to use it as an external display, yep thats true as long as you use a Thunderbolt cable. So it still got some useful life left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.