Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Potatofish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Singapore
Hello,

Would like to ask about a rough no. of working hours needed to complete a 1 min motion graphic.

I just graduated with a degree in digital animation and mainly did frame by frame animated cartoons instead of motion graphics. I got myself a job with a company as a graphic designer. While my boss understands that i am new to graphic design work and was agreeable with me learning on the job, i was given a task to complete a 1 minute motion graphic within 4-5 days (from planning, scripting, storyboarding to animating and rendering of final product). I did what i could to plan and storyboard quickly since i was asked to present it in 3 hours. Am mainly looking and searching up tutorials as i work on the animation.

May i know about how long would it usually take to complete a 1 min explanation video that is in a cartoonish style? And if theres any tips on handling a project as a beginner?

Thanks in advance!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
That varies greatly. For me, it'd probably take about 10 hours, but I'd like to also note that I'm not exactly good at motion graphics... I just fumble until it works, haha.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
There is no right answer. Are you going to manually create everything that you're going to animate? Do you have a resource for common things? How in depth are you going to be? Usually with motion graphics, it's how much can you do within a certain budget (time)? As you get more experience, you'll learn tricks to speed up the projects and know which things you shouldn't do that will waste too much time.

drfunk1986

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Yes it depends on how experienced you're plus if you're doin everything from scratch or if you're using some plugins and replacing graphics to match what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.