Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
I just bought a brand new mid 2015 MacBook Pro with a 1TB drive. I just started using it today and have barely done anything on it yet. I have attempted to partition the drive in half using Disk Utility. How long should this normally take? It has been almost an hour and it seems to have hung. As I said, I have barely done anything to this new computer yet and this is one of the very first tasks I have attempted. Disk Utility has hung with the following messages: "Applying changes to Apple SSD" and in the details: "Initialized /dev/rdisk0s4 as a 465 GB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume with a 40960k journal". Nothing has changed in almost an hour. Is this normal or is something wrong? If so, how can I fix it without ruining the system? Also, I set up the original drive to be encrypted, but when partitioning I selected unencrypted for the new partition. Would that affect anything?

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Partitioning a disk with data on it can indeed take a bit more time, particularly if it involves shrinking a CoreStorage volume as in your case.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Also, I set up the original drive to be encrypted, but when partitioning I selected unencrypted for the new partition. Would that affect anything?

Adding a second partition like you did should only take a minute or so.

Just to clarify here... did you shrink the original, single partition down to 500GB then encrypt it... then now you are adding a second ~500GB partition? Otherwise, this will not work.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Looks like something went wrong the first time. I erased the entire drive, reinstalled osx, set up everything exactly the way I did the first time, and attempted to partition the drive again the exact same way. It took less than a minute.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.