Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcorai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
Hi All!

I lost iCloud password and I followed the instructions to recover the access. And the system shows that it will take some days. My question is why and how many days?

Any experience?

rcorai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
This support article says it depends on what information you are able to provide:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204921

You may also be able to accelerate it:

"Go to iforgot.apple.com and check the status of your request. If you can provide additional account information such as credit card details, you might be able to shorten the account recovery period, or even regain access immediately."

Thanks for your answer.

I started the process last sunday and I confirmed my phone number, credit card number and the alternative email address and I didn't receive any notification since then.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I can see how the delay is annoying. I suspect they intentionally wait for a certain cool-down period to make it harder for hackers to hijack accounts without the legimate owner becoming aware of it (like it happened to Matt Honan a few years ago, where hackers were able to convince Apple support to reset the password using a partial credit card number of his). If the real owner uses a trusted device at any point during the review process, the account recovery is aborted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.