Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I'm on the 2019 Intel 16" with 64GB of RAM and I love my machine. I have never, ever used any swap memory and I love that I can keep 25 windows open and work in Python and SQL with no issues at all.

So, I'm thinking about upgrading to the new M1 16" and I hate that Apple is forcing me to upgrade to the M1 Max to get that much RAM, especially when the CPU power of the M1 Pro is all I need. I watched a few reviews that mentioned that the M1 Max does run hotter due to the extra GPU cores. The various reviewers run the usual benchmarks and then give test scores. However, I don't game or video edit - the most taxing thing I do is scripting in Python.

I don't hear the fans of my Intel 16" when I code unless I get on a Zoom or Teams call. I do use my computer for 10-13 hours a day (plugged in). If I'm set on getting the 16" M1 Max with 64GB of RAM, how much heat and fan noise can I expect?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The M1 Max, so I've read and watched, does quite well in the 16" form factor. Unless you're taxing it, there will be essentially no fan noise (particularly if you're using the 24 GPU core version over the 32 GPU core version).

In the 14" model, the M1 Max does run hot. The 16" has bigger fans (moves more air, so can run slower) and bigger heat pipes.

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
M1 Max fan is on often, you will hear it if you game or do anything intensive.
M1 Pro is fanless in essence, no matter what you do.

If you suffered with the intel, get the m1 pro you'll be in heaven.

Geohord

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Maybe wait for the Mac Pro (desktop) and you could do a silent PC setup.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I don't game or video edit - the most taxing thing I do is scripting in Python.

I don't hear the fans of my Intel 16" when I code unless I get on a Zoom or Teams call. I do use my computer for 10-13 hours a day (plugged in). If I'm set on getting the 16" M1 Max with 64GB of RAM, how much heat and fan noise can I expect?
For your use? Zero. I have never heard the fans on mine, even when doing video exports etc.

Reactions: Mity

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ive never heard the fan on my 14 m1 and the laptop body generally feels cold for the first 20 min of use but I am not doing heavy loads on it

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
it CAN run hot but not out of control like intel macs, so far the only time i hear the m1max in my 14 pushing hard is when i'm doing encoding while playing a game, which is a feat that cannot be replicated on intel mac.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If it’s any help, I have the M1 Max 14” MacBook Pro (so hottest chip in the worst cooling case). Whether as a laptop or in clamshell connected to a Studio Display it isn’t audible and the fans are off much of the time. In my normal uses I’ve only gotten the fans to kick on to 2,200 RPM and even then I couldn’t hear it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.