Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zluckytraveler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2022
I’m just trying to get a good idea of what my used iMac is worth since I’m trying to sell it.

So far I’ve had it listed at around $1200 for a month and no one has gained any interest, so I figured I’d ask what’s it really worth, and what can I expect?

I’d be selling this personally through something like Craigslist (in-person), eBay, OfferUp, etc. Nothing big time where I’m going to get shorted by a company that buys off people or does trade-ins.

Brand: iMac
Year: 2017
Size: 27"
Processor: 4.2GHz i7
Graphics: 8GB - Radeon Pro 580
Storage: 500GB Flash SSD
Memory: 64GB RAM

Included: iMac, Power Cord, Magic Keyboard, & Magic Mouse

No Original Box

Condition: 9/10 (Excellent)
No repairs, damage, or issues

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Based on a quick search of Swappa and completed auctions on eBay I think $700-$900 is probably what I'd expect. Unfortunately the Intel machines, especially ones older than a couple years, have really depreciated since the Apple Silicon models started coming out.

kpluck

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Sacramento
I have almost the exact same machine (40GB RAM, 1TB SSD) that I am trying to sell with no luck so far. I had up $975 OBO thinking I would end up around $750-850 or but didn't get a single response.

Of course, there are a lot factors involved but if you get much over $600 consider yourself lucky.

Zluckytraveler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2022
I have almost the exact same machine (40GB RAM, 1TB SSD) that I am trying to sell with no luck so far. I had up $975 OBO thinking I would end up around $750-850 or but didn't get a single response.

Of course, there are a lot factors involved but if you get much over $600 consider yourself lucky.
Well I had it on eBay and someone offered $900 and I declined, seen them sell for more there, but guess not in a long time, plus the eBay fees are pretty high.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
That's exactly the spec I have, bought it, specced it to the top of the range available at the time, increased SSD to 1Tb and added 32Gb RAM afterwards for a total of 40Gb. I'm guessing you did the same.

I reckon it's worth about £400-£500, absolute tops. Based on that, I'm keeping it and have moved it to my office where I now use it to RDP into my work laptop for a much better experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.