Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm wanting to upgrade my current D70 and would really like to get a full frame SLR. I know I can't afford a new D700, but I was wondering if anyone knew about how much I could expect to pay for one. I know I still need to save more money so I'm not trying to get offers if your wanting to sell yours, just wanting an idea of how much money I need to save.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm wanting to upgrade my current D70 and would really like to get a full frame SLR. I know I can't afford a new D700, but I was wondering if anyone knew about how much I could expect to pay for one. I know I still need to save more money so I'm not trying to get offers if your wanting to sell yours, just wanting an idea of how much money I need to save.

Google it?;)

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Used D700 is currently going for roughly about $150 less than a new body, based on what I see at KEH, B&H, etc.

It's just too soon to expect any significant savings on an used body, especially for a camera this popular (read: not many people are offloading theirs...)

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Used D700 is currently going for roughly about $150 less than a new body, based on what I see at KEH, B&H, etc.

It's just too soon to expect any significant savings on an used body, especially for a camera this popular (read: not many people are offloading theirs...)

ok that's what I was wondering, I'd found a couple used on Amazon that seemed way too low so I'm guessing that those aren't legitimate? if you want to look at them they are here.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
ok that's what I was wondering, I'd found a couple used on Amazon that seemed way too low so I'm guessing that those aren't legitimate? if you want to look at them they are here.

Please allow me to gently point out several tidbits and allow you to judge:

- From my experience, if something generally is priced less than about 10-15% lower than a major authorized dealer, something is often wrong unless you personally know the seller and his/her circumstances (e.g. unloading for a quick sale to raise some cash in difficult times). Reputable dealers in a competitive market rarely stay in business for very long if they are pricing a highly desirable item for about 40-50% off the current going price.

- At the Amazon link, please note it says 'Just launched' for seller ratings and also says 'New seller'. That's a major red flag right there. What is the seller's track record? We don't know.

- Additionally, the seller claims to have a $8,000 (MSRP/RRP) camera (Nikon D3x) available for about $2,500. What's wrong with this picture?

- This seller is apparently selling high end cameras and lenses, yet we've never heard of them before. Why is that?

Now, this seller could be legitimate for all we know, but there are just too many red flags for my comfort zone. If you're feeling adventurous, then, well... :)

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
you know you're probably going to want to ditch your DX lenses, right?

yeah that's the reason why I haven't bought many of them, I've been thinking I'd buy a full frame camera once I can afford it so other than the original kit lens I got with the D70 I don't have any DX lenses.

Now, this seller could be legitimate for all we know, but there are just too many red flags for my comfort zone. If you're feeling adventurous, then, well... :)
Yeah I'm not feeling that adventurous, so I'll probably wait and keep saving money for a bit longer.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
you know you're probably going to want to ditch your DX lenses, right?

They're still useful if you need them...nothing wrong with shooting at 6.1 MP if you don't have a replacement lens for that range.

I'd love a D700 myself, but I suspect there won't be many used ones floating around until the D800 lands. It was exactly the Nikon DSLR a lot of people were waiting for...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.