Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0n3Appl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
New Zealand
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 with 256GB of storage, and I am unsure about how much storage should I partition for Bootcamp Windows 10. I am planning to use this for programming in Visual Basic (Going to install Visual Studio 2017 Community). I think the sweet spot is 50-55GB but what do you recommend?

Thanks!

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I have a desktop running Windows 10 that I "maintain", but do not use. On this desktop I installed a standard suite of apps (Office, Photoshop, Lightroom plus a bunch of minor software packages) and I am currently using 80 GB of space with absolutely NO user data (no music, pictures, videos......nothing). So, I think you should go with at least 100 GB.

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
I'd agree 70 minimum. I'm using 81GB on a Bootcamp + Adobe (about 12gb), but your computer really wants a ratio of free and used space for optimal performance.

Really on a disk that small, I would recommend buying an external SSD to run it off (kinda difficult to install onto an external though) or use a virtual machine (adaptively takes up space as needed). Running out of space in a BootCamp is pretty frustrating since it's usually really difficult to add more space later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.