Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
Hello,

I got a wonderful, big and shiny iPad pro which is used for business purposes, which, I presume, is more often the reason why people buy such a powerful and expensive device, than to play songs.

So. I probably don't need to explain why iTunes is useless to manage such a device. I want to be able to be in more control over the management and backup of documents from my desktop than iTunes allows.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
How about syncing your files to iCloud?

Most applications that handle files should be able to upload them to the “Files” application. You can select iCloud Drive and those files should sync to your Mac.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Can you be more specific with what you really need? Sure you can use iTunes as always or backup to iCloud and install your apps directly on the device. I’d bet that’s what most people do since iOS 5 or whenever the change was where iTunes stopped being a requirement.

Reactions: chabig

Asu

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
I want to be able to see what is on my iPad. Like as if it were another computer (which it is). So I can check whether what I want to back up is in fact backed up.

I heard that the next OS will ditch iTunes and will allow seeing the files directly.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I want to be able to see what is on my iPad. Like as if it were another computer (which it is). So I can check whether what I want to back up is in fact backed up.

I heard that the next OS will ditch iTunes and will allow seeing the files directly.

So you want to see on the computer that you’re planning to use as a backup medium what has been backed up from the iPad?

Apple will split up iTunes on the Mac in the future into individual apps for music, podcasts etc and the basic sync stuff I believe will be moved to the Finder. That however might not automatically mean that you can freely browse the iPad files system or the backed up file on the computer.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I've always used iTunes music app to move and store media like books and other PDFs. It's not just for music. However there are other places that you can store stuff on your iPad. I have my portfolio transferred through iTunes. Its the best way for me to show work to a client. If you simply add photos to the photo app, it will store them chronologically. When you use iTunes from your Mac, you create a folder on your Mac, and sync it to the module in iTunes. This way its synced with your Mac and separate from photos downloaded or taken with the iPad.

PDFs and Books you can get away with storing them in apps like Folder or Notepad. However, if you don't want to go through all of those forms especially while showing a client..you can use the Adobe app or create a backup from iTunes which is synced to your computer.

Not sure how iTunes will flow in the future but for now you can sync a lot of folders through iTunes or use Folder App. I like doing both because in the past when I tried to open up a PDF in Folder App it wouldn't open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.