Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sackofnickels

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
I always keep my phone software up to date. It tells me to do it I do it. I don't use too many apps, mostly news sites, TomTom GPS, Amazon, Netflix, etc., and for the most part I do not have any problems. Most times. When an iOS update comes out I usually just update and do not do a clean install.

Twice in the last year I have had issues with my 8 Plus acting up, missing calls (Not ringing), voicemail not working properly, apps quitting, basic stuff like Calendar and Mail not working properly, it runs the spectrum.

One time I took it in and Apple replaced it. Got it home and did a restore from back up and the problems came back. I was told to do a clean install and set up the phone as new. They said my backup was most likely the problem. After I did that all the problems went away.

Recently my phone seems to have touch screen issues. I watched the phone make a call when my hand was near the screen but not touching it. Navigating the screen was a problem. Could not set up my voicemail message (AT&T). So I did a restore again and set the phone up as new. Problems have gone away.

Long story short, do any of you guys and gals ever have to do a restore and set up as new due to corruption? How long can you go with updating and upgrading your software before issues occur (If ever)? I'm curious to see how long a person can go with no issues or if anyone has experienced the same.

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The only time I’ve ever had to restore to get rid of an issue was recently with my mother’s 5S. It had an issue with deleting apps and photos not actually deleting but taking up system storage. The only solution is an erase and restore. No problems since so it wasn’t a corrupt backup, that I’ve never had.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
Never had to do it on any of my iPhones and I had every single iPhone since the 3G.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I always keep my phone software up to date. It tells me to do it I do it. I don't use too many apps, mostly news sites, TomTom GPS, Amazon, Netflix, etc., and for the most part I do not have any problems. Most times. When an iOS update comes out I usually just update and do not do a clean install.

Twice in the last year I have had issues with my 8 Plus acting up, missing calls (Not ringing), voicemail not working properly, apps quitting, basic stuff like Calendar and Mail not working properly, it runs the spectrum.

One time I took it in and Apple replaced it. Got it home and did a restore from back up and the problems came back. I was told to do a clean install and set up the phone as new. They said my backup was most likely the problem. After I did that all the problems went away.

Recently my phone seems to have touch screen issues. I watched the phone make a call when my hand was near the screen but not touching it. Navigating the screen was a problem. Could not set up my voicemail message (AT&T). So I did a restore again and set the phone up as new. Problems have gone away.

Long story short, do any of you guys and gals ever have to do a restore and set up as new due to corruption? How long can you go with updating and upgrading your software before issues occur? If ever? I'm curious to see how long a person can go with no issues or if anyone has experienced the same.
The only time I usually do a restore is when going from one iPhone to the next.

The last restore I did to my primary phone was September 2015 when I went from my 6+ to my 6s+.

I've had one profile that started on a 3GS and has moved from there to a 5, a 6+ and now my 6s+. In between it has forked to an iPad and an iPhone 4s.

I've never had a problem and I have been jailbroken on every version of iOS since iOS 5, including the version of iOS currently on my 6s+, iOS 9.0.2.

Due to jailbreaks, I don't update very often.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Never, since iPhone 4. In my experience not every app developer graduated in the top 10% of their class. I really try to keep the number of apps on mine to be a small number (like 50!).

I use my AirPods to listen to podcasts every day. Many days, there are skips - annoying as all get out. Disconnect/reconnect the BT. The same. Quit all apps except the podcast app solves the problem. Every time. My take away from this is that not every app, and iOS 11, behaves according to spec. But since apps fire up pretty quick, this seems to work without much downside.

Reactions: Sackofnickels

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
One or both of the 8's had logic board issues. They had to be bought during a certain time frame. Not sure if this could be your issue. Forget the time frame.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I haven’t done a clean install since iOS 7 during the beta period. Since then, I’ve just restored from backup for every new phone and haven’t had any issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.