Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So, we got the ports back on the new MBPs and I've been happily using the HDMI port to hook my Mac to my TV and an external monitor. Until my friend told me he avoids using his HDMI port (he uses a hub instead) because on his old MacBook the port got loose after using it for a while and got flaky.

That got me a bit paranoid so I Googled (and by that I mean i DuckDuckGo-ed) about HDMI ports and it turns out, they are not the sturdiest of ports around. Sure, a bunch of devices use them, but how often do you plug out and plug in the cables in your consoles, Apple TVs, TV boxes, etc? On my Mac, however, I plug the screen in and out once or twice a day, as I move it around.

Now, while I have 2 years (3 if I pay extra) of warranty, the idea of them opening up my Mac because of a loose port is not something I enjoy.

So, my question is - do you use the port without worry, or do you recommend getting an usb-c dongle/hub (I totally get the irony here ? of getting a dongle for these new Macs ? ) Am I worrying about nothing?

And yes, I know it's a silly question.

kentzh

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2021
My minidp LED Cinema monitor can’t be connected directly from hdmi. I didn’t get any display after the HDMI was switched to minidp. After powering the adapter cable, it can display, but the screen keeps blacking and restarting. Instead, I use the HDMI switch of the USB-C hub. Come out, there is no problem, no need to supply power.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
USB-c port is just as vulnerable to coming loose as HDMI so I really don't see you gaining much by using it over the HDMI port.

My laptop at work, about 4.5 years old has a flaky (loose) USB port for power, and I hardly ever unplug it.

You can get magsafe like cables that would probably work a lot longer...

You can get USB-c cables like that too.

I haven't tried them myself, so i don't know how reliable they are.

Reactions: Fishrrman

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks, bobcomer, for the post about a magsafe-like connector for HDMI.

It looks to be a VERY good idea if someone is going to be using the HDMI port and will be connecting/disconnecting often.

Obviously, it will "stick out just a little" when the "inner portion" is plugged into the MBP. But that's a very small consideration when measured against the "wear and tear" of repeated connections and disconnections over time.

TSE wrote:
"it works like any other HDMI port I've ever had. Works great."

Did you get the one in the link above, or perhaps another...?

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Why don't you just use it until it possibly becomes loose? I don't understand why someone would make a point to use a dongle from the beginning because the built in port might become loose at some unspecified time in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.