Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
...especially with relation to iPhoto?

My dad just bought a Canon DSLR Digital Rebel XTi, and I'm probably going to purchase the student version of Aperture so I can deal with RAW when taking nice family pictures and stuff.

What do you all recommend I do with my photo library (currently stored in iPhoto)? Is Aperture more stable in those respects? I recently had iPhoto quit on me and had to use iPhoto Library Manager to recover all my photos (I could have done it manually, but that would have taken too much time); would Aperture crash on me like that? How does it work with FileVault (I know, I know, I'll be getting rid of it soon...)

Clearly Aperture is best for editing, but I'm wondering if I should a) edit new photos in Aperture and then export what I don't delete into iPhoto for storage/viewing/iWeb+.Mac purposes, or b) edit new photos in Aperture, store/view them in Aperture, and then export to iPhoto whatever I want to upload to iWeb/.Mac?

Thanks for all your help!

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
i am in the processes of testing Aperture 1.5 (finally, they released a demo). Aperture is much better than iPhoto in so many respects since it is a "Pro" product, meaning meant for serious hobbyist and professionals. It also has better support for RAW. I also am trying out Adobe's Lightroom and it also has some good points that Aperture does not have.

What I was planning to do, if I decide to go with Aperture is to,
- import iPhoto library and store into the Aperture library (copy files). I like the way it imports, keeps the albums and the versions.

- remove iPhoto library

- export all good photos from aperture into a smaller jpg files

- import into iPhoto for viewing (for my wife or guests). this way, they cannot edit my master copies and easier to use for them as well.

anyhow, i'm still undecided what to get. until adobe releases their final RC, only then. hope this helps.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Isn't the iLife Media Browser supposed to give access to the Aperture files without having to import into iPhoto?

But where is this Media Browser?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Ah. I found it. It's the Media icon in Keynote, Pages, and iWeb.

I guess you don't really need to import from Aperture into iPhoto unless you want to order prints, do photocasting, or "prevent" modification of the masters.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well, Apple says that iPhoto has a media pane too, with which you can browse the Aperture previews, but I don't see it (I don't have Aperture installed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.