Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
How likely can you return an unopened phone for another colour on like the 16th/17th day after purchase?

For a £1000+ unopened device, 14 days is pretty terrible... wondering if apple sometimes gives leeway on this, especially given the abysmal stock levels

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
I reserved online and bought in store
You started the process online so your consumer rights should still apply.

To be honest I’ve had positive experiences with them. You have a receipt and an in opened item. I would just pop and and exchange. If they question start spouting some consumer rights :)

• Love
Reactions: thestugots

arian71

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Moon, and safe from the ban
Apple :why you return it ? , is their right to question
you : I don't want it
I had iPad Pro m1 for nearly a month , once bought online returned, the other time bought in store returned
will do the same for the new iPhone

Reactions: thestugots

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2021
I reserved online and bought in store
I successfully returned an Apple keyboard that I had used for well over a month. Got an Apple gift card for the full value of the keyboard, which was more than fair.

Just today I exchanged my black iPhone SE for a white one, within the 15 days. I was in and out of a packed Apple Store within 5 minutes with my new phone.

One of the reasons I decided to stick with Apple when upgrading my phone and the reason I have zero buyer’s remorse is because of how good their service is. I’m also walking distance from an Apple Store.

So, in short, I’d say the odds are close to 100%. Go do it tomorrow. The 17th day is better than the 25th or 40th. Just ask politely and see what happens.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
For a £1000+ unopened device, 14 days is pretty terrible...
When Apple gets an unopened device return they'll have to verify it just the same, open up the box to make sure it was actually unopened, and I assume if they determine they can sell it again as brand new they'll at least have to use a new box and seal that so it looks no different from other new phones.

I understand the frustration with the color choices, however the color comparisons in videos should be helpful enough, and if not you can always go to a store and look at the colors in person. (And if you pre-ordered it you could still have checked the colors in a store by now...)
It's not like you could end up with an ugly color, if you prefer something bright you get just two choices and there are only two dark options as well.

In over two decades now of owning Apple devices not once did I return an Apple product. The only regret I had was getting a product in space grey when that color choice was made available for the first time. But then it took me a while to dislike it and I wouldn't have dreamed of exchanging it just because the color wasn't perfect for me. I usually look at the display, not at the back.

You started the process online so your consumer rights should still apply.
This might differ on where you live but here the law determines this by looking at where you made the purchase. If you paid online with your credit card and then picked it up in a store later, it was a purchase made online and is thus covered by the laws applying to purchases over the internet. If you picked it up in a store and paid right then and there, the online reservation would not count as an online purchase.

You can usually tell by whether you got a reservation confirmation or an actual invoice. If you get a proper invoice online then I believe it counts as a purchase made online, no matter where or how you pay for it. But since online buyer protection is usually better, this is the reason why when you pick something up in a store you only ever get a reservation confirmation and not an invoice. This is so that the merchant can avoid having the sale classified as an online purchase. On the flipside you are also under no obligation to pick up the reserved goods.

(I had a silly store that would let you reserve something online to pick it up, and that was the only way to get the goods since they didn't ship anything at all. However, what I ordered was in very low demand and had a two week lead time. I thus went through the reservation prodecure and was told they'll let me know when it's ready. Contrary to that, a full week later I received a message saying they won't even order the goods without me doing a wire transfer first, because if I don't pick it up they have nobody else to sell it to. I then asked them for an invoice to make sure it counts as an online sale so I can return the product if necessary, and they refused. They asked for payment without an invoice. I never paid and never ordered anything else from them.)

I had iPad Pro m1 for nearly a month , once bought online returned, the other time bought in store returned
You yourself as well as all of us pay for that, Apple factors such returns into their product pricing. I wish they'd ban customers like you, why do I have to subsidize your habits of using products with no intention of actually paying for them.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2021
When Apple gets an unopened device return they'll have to verify it just the same, open up the box to make sure it was actually unopened, and I assume if they determine they can sell it again as brand new they'll at least have to use a new box and seal that so it looks no different from other new phones.

I understand the frustration with the color choices, however the color comparisons in videos should be helpful enough, and if not you can always go to a store and look at the colors in person. (And if you pre-ordered it you could still have checked the colors in a store by now...)
It's not like you could end up with an ugly color, if you prefer something bright you get just two choices and there are only two dark options as well.

In over two decades now of owning Apple devices not once did I return an Apple product. The only regret I had was getting a product in space grey when that color choice was made available for the first time. But then it took me a while to dislike it and I wouldn't have dreamed of exchanging it just because the color wasn't perfect for me. I usually look at the display, not at the back.

This might differ on where you live but here the law determines this by looking at where you made the purchase. If you paid online with your credit card and then picked it up in a store later, it was a purchase made online and is thus covered by the laws applying to purchases over the internet. If you picked it up in a store and paid right then and there, the online reservation would not count as an online purchase.

You can usually tell by whether you got a reservation confirmation or an actual invoice. If you get a proper invoice online then I believe it counts as a purchase made online, no matter where or how you pay for it. But since online buyer protection is usually better, this is the reason why when you pick something up in a store you only ever get a reservation confirmation and not an invoice. This is so that the merchant can avoid having the sale classified as an online purchase. On the flipside you are also under no obligation to pick up the reserved goods.

(I had a silly store that would let you reserve something online to pick it up, and that was the only way to get the goods since they didn't ship anything at all. However, what I ordered was in very low demand and had a two week lead time. I thus went through the reservation prodecure and was told they'll let me know when it's ready. Contrary to that, a full week later I received a message saying they won't even order the goods without me doing a wire transfer first, because if I don't pick it up they have nobody else to sell it to. I then asked them for an invoice to make sure it counts as an online sale so I can return the product if necessary, and they refused. They asked for payment without an invoice. I never paid and never ordered anything else from them.)

You yourself as well as all of us pay for that, Apple factors such returns into their product pricing. I wish they'd ban customers like you, why do I have to subsidize your habits of using products with no intention of actually paying for them.
Don’t be ridiculous. You aren’t “subsidizing” anything. And the OP isn’t going to be negotiating with Tim Cook. It’s going to be a retail employee, and I guarantee they won’t spend one fraction of one millisecond thinking about a 15 cent recycled cardboard box.

Apple sells each product at the absolute maximum price the market will bear. Nearly every product they sell, with very few exceptions, is sold at incredibly high margins.

You’re also mistaken if you believe Apple’s return policy isn’t a net financial benefit to the company. If it wasn’t, they’d change it (while complying with consumer protection laws).

arian71

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Moon, and safe from the ban

You talk a lot of s...
is my right to return

• Angry
Reactions: chikorita157

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Ordering a device with the intention of returning it a month later is not what is meant to be protected by consumer protection laws nor is it worth protecting or part of the return policy.

You’re also mistaken if you believe Apple’s return policy isn’t a net financial benefit to the company.
In that case Apple certainly has a financial forecast and expectations, the more people shamelessly abuse return policies -for example by trying to return well after the 14 day window or buying with no intention of keeping the goods- the more of a deficit will be there and since you said yourself that Apple extracts as much money from their customers as possible, they will forward this loss to their customers.

The final nail in the coffin is this user's reply saying it's their right to return it - when they clearly say they're returning it well after the 14 day period, which is in fact not covered by the return policy or consumer protection laws. It really shows the headspace of these "customers" I had to deal with in younger years working retail. They get their paycheck, come in to buy the latest gadget to take a selfie for Instagram with, or whatever it is they need the latest iPhone for, then return it so they can pay off the next installment of other things they can't afford and really have no need for.

There isn't a single legitimate reason for buying an iPhone with the intention of returning it a couple weeks later.

I guarantee they won’t spend one fraction of one millisecond thinking about a 15 cent recycled cardboard box.
And the phone magically finds its way into said cardboard box, right. There certainly isn't a program behind all that where people would have to be paid to check the devices and repackage them.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Ordering a device with the intention of returning it a month later is not what is meant to be protected by consumer protection laws nor is it worth protecting or part of the return policy.

In that case Apple certainly has a financial forecast and expectations, the more people shamelessly abuse return policies -for example by trying to return well after the 14 day window or buying with no intention of keeping the goods- the more of a deficit will be there and since you said yourself that Apple extracts as much money from their customers as possible, they will forward this loss to their customers.

The final nail in the coffin is this user's reply saying it's their right to return it - when they clearly say they're returning it well after the 14 day period, which is in fact not covered by the return policy or consumer protection laws. It really shows the headspace of these "customers" I had to deal with in younger years working retail. They get their paycheck, come in to buy the latest gadget to take a selfie for Instagram with, or whatever it is they need the latest iPhone for, then return it so they can pay off the next installment of other things they can't afford and really have no need for.

There isn't a single legitimate reason for buying an iPhone with the intention of returning it a couple weeks later.

And the phone magically finds its way into said cardboard box, right. There certainly isn't a program behind all that where people would have to be paid to check the devices and repackage them.
I put the blame more on the companies who don't enforce policies. You have to draw a like OR:

But it's only one more day
But you did it for someone else for 15 and it's only one more
16..17..18..65, etc. This is why you need a hard enforced timeframe...

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I believe any returned products would go to the refurbishing process and end up as a replacement device or sold in the refurbished store. A company as big as Apple wouldn't dare to repackage someone else's return and sealing it again to be sold as new. It would be a huge scandal if someone found out.

Reactions: deaglecat

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
How likely can you return an unopened phone for another colour on like the 16th/17th day after purchase?

For a £1000+ unopened device, 14 days is pretty terrible... wondering if apple sometimes gives leeway on this, especially given the abysmal stock levels
Dumb question here: Why would you buy a product... leave it unopened for 14+ days, then decide to return it? Did you want to buy it, then read the reviews afterwards? Not sure I understand the logic/motivation here. Seems like you've bought yourself hassle/headaches for zero benefit.

Reactions: okkibs

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
Apple :why you return it ? , is their right to question
you : I don't want it
What’s the point of buying them only to return them? What was wrong with them?

thestugots

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
Dumb question here: Why would you buy a product... leave it unopened for 14+ days, then decide to return it? Did you want to buy it, then read the reviews afterwards? Not sure I understand the logic/motivation here. Seems like you've bought yourself hassle/headaches for zero benefit.

If you must know: my iphone developed a fault and I couldn't use or retrieve information from it. This was a headache. I was quoted extortionate prices to repair so I started shopping around for replacements. I came to find out the new model was days away from release. I hadnt looked at phones for years and there was only so much research I could do on an unreleased model. I didn't really bother with preorder but somehow on launch day I managed to get one at my local store. Then I had an appointment to get my faulty phone repaired, to no avail. A few days later my broken phone repaired itself? It's not perfect but I was able to use it. I hesitated to return my new phone due to apple's poor inventory and the precarious status of my phone, I didn't want to scramble for another in case I changed my mind. Judging by reviews and forum posts, I also wondered if it was worth the money or suitable for my needs.
Plus, I was considering swapping it for the space black too.

But maybe you'll be pleased to know that I've decided to keep it.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You'll be fine. Based on my experience, customers realistically have 30 days to return an item to the Apple Store. Technically, it requires manager approval but everyone gets approved.

I've returned an unopened purchase over 15 days to rebuy it using a different credit card.

Reactions: compwiz1202

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
If you must know: my iphone developed a fault and I couldn't use or retrieve information from it. This was a headache. I was quoted extortionate prices to repair so I started shopping around for replacements. I came to find out the new model was days away from release. I hadnt looked at phones for years and there was only so much research I could do on an unreleased model. I didn't really bother with preorder but somehow on launch day I managed to get one at my local store. Then I had an appointment to get my faulty phone repaired, to no avail. A few days later my broken phone repaired itself? It's not perfect but I was able to use it. I hesitated to return my new phone due to apple's poor inventory and the precarious status of my phone, I didn't want to scramble for another in case I changed my mind. Judging by reviews and forum posts, I also wondered if it was worth the money or suitable for my needs.
Plus, I was considering swapping it for the space black too.

But maybe you'll be pleased to know that I've decided to keep it.
I'm neither pleased nor displeased about your decision to keep your phone, has zero effect on me.

Thanks for answering my question though, I was genuinely curious about what possible sequence of events led to this situation. Your explanation makes perfect sense to me!

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2021

I’ve addressed the rest of your comment, but to be clear, I never said “Apple extracts as much money from their customers as possible”. I said that Apple sets product prices based on the maximum the market will bear.

You can rest assured that you won’t be facing a 15-cent price hike to “subsidize” the original poster returning his iPhone. If Apple thought they could get another 15 cents from you, they’d have already increased the price by that amount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.