Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
in 2014 I dailed some no (long string with *@#XXX) and then if someone calls me it goes straight to Google voice and I get sms telling me that I have a call. Is it possible if I can actually activate google voice so that if someone calls me I can get it in real time or I have to pay for this service. The only settings so far I see if I can forward all calls to my google voice number. Is it possible for anyone to call me (if I am in Europe) in real time using google voice. I am unable to find a way to activate google voice except to forward calls to the google voice no only. Suggestions?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What exactly do you want to happen? If someone calls your cell phone number it goes to Google Voice right away (which eould just take them to voicemail there essentially)? Or if someone calls your Google Voice it goes to your cell phone so that you can answer?

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
What exactly do you want to happen? If someone calls your cell phone number it goes to Google Voice right away (which eould just take them to voicemail there essentially)? Or if someone calls your Google Voice it goes to your cell phone so that you can answer?
I forward calls to the Google Voice number in the iPhone settings. I do not see a way for me to call (like in 2013 or 2014) where I dial some long string of numbers and special characters and that immediately transferred all calls (if anyone call) to google voice and I can actually pick up when they call after they announce their name (in google voice). I want people to call my phone number but when they call it goes to google voice so that I do not incur a cost when in Europe or Asia... as I carry a wifi router which cost $10 a day and my family members can all use the wifi instead of swapping sim cards with generic phones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I forward calls to the Google Voice number in the iPhone settings. I do not see a way for me to call (like in 2013 or 2014) where I dial some long string of numbers and special characters and that immediately transferred all calls (if anyone call) to google voice and I can actually pick up when they call after they announce their name (in google voice). I want people to call my phone number but when they call it goes to google voice so that I do not incur a cost when in Europe or Asia... as I carry a wifi router which cost $10 a day and my family members can all use the wifi instead of swapping sim cards with generic phones.
Well, setting up call forwarding is usually done though the carrier that you are with, so you can typically find that information from them (online or by contacting them). Beyond that, you'd likely need Hangouts app installed and configured to accept calls that come into Google Voice, and probably have voicemail disabled there since otherwise (at least as far as I recall) calls forwarded to Google Voice would end up going to voicemail instead of ringing like a normal call.

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Well, setting up call forwarding is usually done though the carrier that you are with, so you can typically find that information from them (online or by contacting them). Beyond that, you'd likely need Hangouts app installed and configured to accept calls that come into Google Voice, and probably have voicemail disabled there since otherwise (at least as far as I recall) calls forwarded to Google Voice would end up going to voicemail instead of ringing like a normal call.
Thanks a lot...I recalled using Talkatone or something to pair up with Google voice... then.I guess Google Hang out is now the new approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.