Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FishyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
For the iPad Pro Gen2, is there a way to actually close an app opened in Slide Over? For example: I have Safari opened full screen and open Mail in Slide Over. Now I want to open mail in full screen. There is no efficient way to do this. If you swipe right to hide the Mail Slide Over app then press the Mail icon on in the dock, only the Slide Over Mail app appears.

The only way I have found to do this is to convert the Mail Slide Over to Split View then slide to close it. Or use the app switcher and find mail there. Or back out to the home screen and open mail there. BUT iOS remembers that Mail is in Slide Over mode so any attempts to open Mail while another app is open will result in the Slide Over version of Mail opening from now on.

I must be be missing something. How do you close a slide over app (not hide it) or convert an open slide over to full screen?

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I do the same thing - safari as main, twitter as secondary, and mail as slide over. If i close that combo of safari/twitter, clicking on home, and then open mail from the dock, mail opens full screen for me. You have to do it from the home page or dock while on the home page.

Last edited:

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Theres one other way. On the slideover, hold it
On the bar at the top of the window, and pull down a bit. You can then position it as the secondary app, replacing the current one if it already exists. Then you can just slide one of the apps to full screen.

Reactions: dmgoldman

FishyD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Theres one other way. On the slideover, hold it
On the bar at the top of the window, and pull down a bit. You can then position it as the secondary app, replacing the current one if it already exists. Then you can just slide one of the apps to full screen.
Basically convert the app you want to close into a split view app then close it from there right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.