Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfsuprob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I am wondering how to setup an external hdd to backup to a nas?

I have narrowed it down to a Synology DS1515+ with HGST 3tb hdds for the NAS

The external hdd I was thinking of a Drobo 5DT 15TB OR G-SPEED STUDIO 12TB which are both DAS.

Id like to work on video editing directly on the external hdd but somehow set daily for it to be backed up to the NAS.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
I think the only way to do it is to plug it in to the nas and manually copy the files. Nas>external works automatically, not the other way around.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
You can use software like Carbon Copy Cloner to schedule the copying of files over to the NAS from the external hdd.

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
Synology includes backup software that you can use (Time Backup), or you could use cloud station and mount the cloud station to the external drive. Then you work on the local copy and it will sync it to the NAS realtime. That may cause conflicts though depending on size of files and time to sync so may not be ideal.

I also use rsync on the Synology to sync the Synology to a TerraStation NAS as a backup. That may work in a similar fashion. It is fast and efficient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.