Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rollie-girl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Is it possible to flip a folder of photos which I have scanned into iPhoto the wrong way up? I can do it one at a time with "Elements", but a bit time consuming for me

Rollie-girl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
If you have a ton of photos to rotate you can do this very quickly with Automator, but you can also rotate in iPhoto.

Thanks for your reply.
I can see "rotate", but "flip" actually reverses the picture. I discovered that the writing appearing in a few pics was reversed. Alas too late as I have now done 60 odd old slides reversed. I always thought it was white side up, but now I am wrong!

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Thanks for your reply.
I can see "rotate", but "flip" actually reverses the picture. I discovered that the writing appearing in a few pics was reversed. Alas too late as I have now done 60 odd old slides reversed. I always thought it was white side up, but now I am wrong!

If you're doing that in iPhoto you can always revert to the original picture.
( or reverse it again )

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Hello

I don't have iPhoto in front of me, but search Help for Flip. I'd be surprised if it wasn't there. Select multiple images, and then Flip... if possible.

However, as someone else has suggested, look at Automator. I have 10.5.8. I've confirmed that Automator has a "Flip" action, under Photos. It seems to use Preview (not iPhoto), so there is a bit of complication to getting this right. (If iPhoto doesn't have a Flip function.)

1) Do a Backup. Just in case.
2) Export (using iPhoto) all of the affected photos to a folder (or a set of folders if you have organized them that way.)
3) Run your "Flip" Automator workflow.
4) Once you have confirmed all is at is should be - use iPhoto to import these images back into iPhoto into a new set of Events/Albums/Folders (however you want to organize them).
5) Once you have confirmed that these images are fine.... use iPhoto to delete the originals images.

Don't move/manipulate images in the iPhoto library with non-iPhoto apps - you risk corrupting the iPhoto database. The 'export' moves the images outside of the library, and then you 'import' them back into the library.

Good Luck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.