Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wyattaj25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2024
Hey everyone.

I have been using OCLP for nearly 2 years now. however, I need to switch to Martin Lo's package to use the Titan Ridge thunderbolt card (and accompanying 27" thunderbolt displays) with my mac pro.

I have not used Martin Lo's package at all, but with OCLP I have Big Sur and Monterey running on my 5,1. Is there a way to switch from OCLP to martin Lo's package while keeping my installs intact without erasing them?

I have a mojave drive to use for the install process if necessary, and i can also sacrifice the big sur install (which is the drive that OCLP is installed on at this moment.)

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
hello, if this were me i would install the mojave in bay 1(furthest left) and remove big sur and monterey i would then load up mojave and install martin lo on efi of mojave. once you confirm that martin lo oc is in working order turn off mac, insert monterey and reboot. you should see both mojave and monterey in the boot screen. leave big sur out and put it away for any emergencies. good luck.

Reactions: Ziggybob59

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
hello, if this were me i would install the mojave in bay 1(furthest left) and remove big sur and monterey i would then load up mojave and install martin lo on efi of mojave. once you confirm that martin lo oc is in working order turn off mac, insert monterey and reboot. you should see both mojave and monterey in the boot screen. leave big sur out and put it away for any emergencies. good luck.
I would not put OpenCore on the same drive as Mojave - best practice is to have a clean Mojave drive so that you can boot if there is some issue with your OpenCore install.

You could reach out to MartinLo and get his advice. If you have a graphics card that shows the Apple Boot manager (or you've installed EnableGoP) I would start by installing his package on a bootable USB drive and then booting from that drive. You can see if his package works with your macOS install. If it does then you can simply replace your current OCLP install with the one on the USB stick. You will probably have to clear NVRAM as there are some variables that OCLP stores there but I don't know enough about OCLP to help you there.

Regards,
tfalatko

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
I would not put OpenCore on the same drive as Mojave - best practice is to have a clean Mojave drive so that you can boot if there is some issue with your OpenCore install.

You could reach out to MartinLo and get his advice. If you have a graphics card that shows the Apple Boot manager (or you've installed EnableGoP) I would start by installing his package on a bootable USB drive and then booting from that drive. You can see if his package works with your macOS install. If it does then you can simply replace your current OCLP install with the one on the USB stick. You will probably have to clear NVRAM as there are some variables that OCLP stores there but I don't know enough about OCLP to help you there.

Regards,
tfalatko
alternatively you can have another drive with plain mojave as backup like i do

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
what I did to reuse my drive was to use the manufactures tools or whatever other tool to zero out the drive

MacProRumours

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2021
I’M still using Mojave on a 2012 Mac Pro and have the intention of running either OCLP or Martin Lo's package on another one of my Mac Pros.

I'd find it helpful—and possibly others too—if someone having experience of both, could publish a 2 x 2 matrix of Advantages and Disadvantages of each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.