Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Too many of you seem a little confused on how to clean your lenses properly, so I thought that I would put together a short tutorial based on my few decades of experience with cameras, binoculars and now watch crystals. Yes, most of them come with anti-glare coatings today, and they are a pain to clean and keep them dust and lint free until the watch is cased up. FWIW, repairing watches is my day job.

Use a squeeze blower (or your breath, if you can do so without spitting) to remove as many large particles of dirt and lint as possible. Now give a few short blasts from one of those Dust Off pressurized cans of clean air. My reason for not using the higher pressure blast of air first is because the force of it might cause larger particles to scratch the AR coating. One tip that I've found useful is to always do a quick short blast into the air before pointing at the lens, because sometimes the first blast contains some propellant residue.

Spray a tiny amount of lens cleaner, or 91% alcohol, onto the corner of your microfiber cloth and wipe the lens clean. Now you can go ahead and use a clean part of the same cloth to wipe away the residue from the cleaner in small soft circles, as if you were polishing the lens.

Voilà! Your lens should now be spotlessly clean, save for any scratches that you picked up through carelessness.

In all my years of trying out who knows how many different types of microfiber cleaning cloths, I have yet to find one that does a better job than the Microdear, which is available from Adorama - see the link below. This was highly recommended many years ago by Herbert Keppler from Modern/Popular Photography, and I tried it out based on his enthusiastic recommendation. It is very thick, exceptionally soft and washes out well when dirty. Rinse it in clean water without any fabric softeners.

http://www.adorama.com/CPCML.html?searchinfo=microdear

Name brand lens cleaning fluids and dust free pressurized air blowers are all pretty much the same, but I have included a pic of the products that I usually use.

Attachments

• lens_cleaning.jpg
    lens_cleaning.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 444

DNA930

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
And always make sure you hold the can of air upright. You don't want any of the ice cold propellant coming out.

uptherighttree

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
and as a quick fix...

Buy a packet of cigarette papers (the ones you use when you roll your own smokes)

a light breath over the lens and wipe with the paper clears up the lens and leaves no dust or debris

it's a quick and easy fix if you need to clear a bit of grease off the lens

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
and as a quick fix...

Buy a packet of cigarette papers (the ones you use when you roll your own smokes)

a light breath over the lens and wipe with the paper clears up the lens and leaves no dust or debris

it's a quick and easy fix if you need to clear a bit of grease off the lens

I personally would NOT, under any circumstances, use any paper, to clean a lens that costs thousands of dollars, or even one that cost me only a few hundred.

Regardless of what Charmin and Kleenex say about how soft their paper is. Besides, cigarette paper, like the later two, is also made from wood pulp, and doesn't compare to the softness and efficacy of the synthetic materials used in microfiber cloths. I work too hard for my money to risk rubbing micro scratches onto the AR coating.

FWIW I always examine my lenses with a 5X watchmakers loupe after cleaning them, and I've yet to scratch one using the method I described above.

DNA930 - thanks for bringing up a good point. These cans of air should not be shaken prior to use, or held upside down, as this will result in the propellant being sprayed onto the lens, instead of clean dry air.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
I personally would NOT, under any circumstances, use any paper, to clean a lens that costs thousands of dollars, or even one that cost me only a few hundred.

How about lens paper :p ? I've got several booklets of that kicking around, they seem to do a good job not scratching the lens when used as directed.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I have Pec Pads, which are made to clean lenses, they suck don't really work that well compared to microfiber cloths, microfiber cloths are the way to go, they are soft and soak up everything dust and oil stain! Where as the pec pads will spread the oil around the lens. I use my microfiber cloth to clean all my lenses ($5000+), and it works great!

tooz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
If the lens is particularly dirty, I would suggest cleaning git first with some (disposable) lens tissue. Then, If needs be, go over it with the micro-fibre cloth.
(I work in a camera store. We sell a pack of 20 for about $3)

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
How about lens paper :p ? I've got several booklets of that kicking around, they seem to do a good job not scratching the lens when used as directed.

I used Kodak lens paper for years before microfiber cloths were available. I wasn't as finicky about my lenses back then - what 16 year old kid is?

Having said that though, I don't recall having any problems with them scratching the AR coatings. I stopped using them and switched once the microfiber cloths became available.

FWIW I don't think that the lens cleaning tissue sold under the various brand names is made from wood pulp, like toilet and tissue paper is.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
What do you do if there is dust under the glass?

It's always good to examine the lens carefully as soon as you can, because something like that can only be taken care of by the factory, whether it's a factory defect or not. But as pointed out in the link provided by David G., tiny specs of dust or lint are not going to make or break the quality of the photo. However, scratches on the AR coatings will definitely reduce the resale value, especially on the more expensive lenses.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
As the AR coatings on lens optics are quite hard and very well bonded to the glass, I am not sure that using a soft paper or kleenex is going to be a problem as far as scratches, unless you happen to get dust underneath the cloth. But this is an issue with any cleaning cloth/paper/material, not just tissues or kleenex.

I think however the issue is that lens paper is specifically designed to not leave fibers or dust residue behind. If you try to clean a lens with some tissues or kleenex it might leave behind a lot of cotton/paper fibers behind and be difficult to clean off, whereas a microfiber cloth is not going to leave anything in its wake.

Here is a good resource I found about lens cleaning.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/lens_filter_cleaning.html

Ruahrc

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Some of the soft tissue have lotion. It's added to the tissue to aid with skin dryness, something that's very common when one has to blow one's nose often. But lens-cleaning tissue is designed not to damage glass nor lens coatings. However, for decades now lens cloths have replaced most lens tissue, and are much better than lens cleaning tissue in several ways. For example, they can be washed with lotion-free liquid soaps, and reused many times.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
Personally I just use a UV filter over all my lenses. I don't want to even chance them getting scratched. I would gladly replace the filters any day. That being said I still use a blower and a microfiber cloth to clean the filters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.