Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slawnz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2021
I've preordered an M1 iMac, but I'm confused about how to connect my existing monitor to it. The monitor I have can display 4K@60hz either via DisplayPort or HDMI. With my current Intel iMac I'm connected via Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. Is there an adapter I can buy to keep using that cable? If not, what kind of cable should I buy to connect at 4K@60hz? I'm so confused about USB-C / Thunderbolt!!

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've preordered an M1 iMac, but I'm confused about how to connect my existing monitor to it. The monitor I have can display 4K@60hz either via DisplayPort or HDMI. With my current Intel iMac I'm connected via Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. Is there an adapter I can buy to keep using that cable? If not, what kind of cable should I buy to connect at 4K@60hz? I'm so confused about USB-C / Thunderbolt!!

Get a USB-C/TB to DisplayPort cable... of course, you burn a port to do so...

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

For mirrowing mode, can we do it wirelessly, using the new Apple TV gen 6?

MaCM14Me

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2023
Awesome, thanks for your help. Ordered!
I'm interested to find out if this fixed your problem slawnz? I'm currently looking for monitors to extend my iMac M1. Everyone keeps telling me the best port link up is USB-C to USB-C? Did the adaptor you ordered work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.