Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Pardon my ignorance. I just bought a used Digital Rebel (300D) and it did not include any manuals or CDs. How do i connect the camera to my laptop to download pics? TIA.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
300D has a mini-usb port. It is only usb1.1, if I remember correctly, though, so it's quite slow. So a card reader would be a better idea.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Does the camera have different USB modes?
To connect without the need for drivers, make sure the USB is in Mass Storage mode.

Or, download software from the Canon site.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Pardon my ignorance. I just bought a used Digital Rebel (300D) and it did not include any manuals or CDs. How do i connect the camera to my laptop to download pics? TIA.

The camera should have come with a cable and software. However, you're much better off getting a compact flash card reader and pulling the card out of the camera for a couple of reasons:

1. The cable covers tend to degrade over time if you keep pulling them off to connect.

2. You won't ever have an accident where the camera gets knocked off the table if it's not on the table tethered to the computer.

Finally, if you've got more than one card, you can load and format the second card and download the pictures off the full card at your convenience.

If you can't find your manual, go to:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...loadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=9430

Click on the Product/Software Manuals link and go from there.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
i was thinking it was as simple as just connecting a mini USB to USB. I guess the mini USB isnt working on the 300D.....:eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
i was thinking it was as simple as just connecting a mini USB to USB. I guess the mini USB isnt working on the 300D.....:eek:

You turned the 300D on, right? This isn't uniform across Canon consumer models, and it's been a while since I sync'd my 300D, but I'm pretty sure it actually needs to be turned on before it will do anything. Plug it in via mini-USB, turn it on, and iPhoto or Image Capture or whatever you have configured as the default handler should launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.