Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregconquest

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2016
near Yokohama, Japan
How to copy files in Finder without copying to iCloud?

When I try to copy files to move or paste them somewhere else on the same Mac, I almost always get a pop-up on my nearby Mac and iPad saying they're copying the file across the network. While this is convenient sometimes, it also slows my network and even the other computers at times, but I don't see any way to copy locally only. 90% of the time, I'm usually trying to copy on drives connected to one device, so this "feature" actually gets in my way.

Can this be done? I know dragging and dropping will avoid this problem, but that's not always possible.

Reactions: patriciyalark

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
This is due to the "Universal Clipboard" feature. I am not aware of a way to disable this behavior other than disabling Handoff altogether, which you may want for other things.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Do you have…

… Or other optimize storage setting enabled?

This is due to the "Universal Clipboard" feature. I am not aware of a way to disable this behavior other than disabling Handoff altogether, which you may want for other things.
I utilize Universal Clipboard often and I’ve never seen any dialogs or behavior as the OP describes.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
I'd think the sensible implementation of universal clipboard would only actually do the transfer when pasting on the remote device.

gregconquest

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2016
near Yokohama, Japan
patriciyalark, that's what I was doing. Either "Context-mouse click - Copy" or CMD-C gives the same result. Universal Clipboard assumes you want to copy to another device and begins loading it on the network/iCloud for pasting everywhere. I don't know what you mean by "streaming". I'm just managing files in Finder, not streaming anything.

f54da, what you say might work, but I think the obvious alternative would be two choices for copying: Copy or Copy To Universal Clipboard. This would be easy with a context-mouse click, but the keyboard shortcut would need an entirely new shortcut to have the two choices.

Whatever the solution, it needs to be implemented.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.