Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poredoor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Hi guyz,
I am new to apple. I just got macbook pro last month. I imported photo from my camera into iphoto. I couldn't find the actual location of those photos. I also would like to copy those photos to external HD. I did the same way like PC. I mounted external HD and copied those photo then pasted but it just did not work that way. Any idea how to? When I try to paste pictures, it won't allow.

One more thing. Some pictures taken were landscape, some portrait. When I view photo with iphoto, those portraits were rotated but not actual portraited. When I uploaded those to hi5 website, they were just not right. How can I rotate those pictures?

Please Help

Thank you GURUs

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
under edit in iPhoto you can rotate pictures.

to copy the picture or pictures/ select the ones you want, then while holding the mouse button down grab them, and drag them to the external HD icon, hold it there for a few seconds the icon will flash, then open up to the external drives contents, you can keep doing this until you hit the folder you want, then just release the mouse button and it will copy (you should see a green + when you are drag them over).

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
It's just drag & drop from iPhoto to the Finder.
However, let me ask you: why do you want to copy it to an external harddrive? To have a backup?

If so, I would recommend you use Time Machine instead, this does all this automatically and you can even go back in time, i. e. you don't have just one backup, but several, each corresponding to a snapshot at a given time.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
If you are just trying to make a quick backup, close iPhoto and copy the whole Photos directory from your user folder to the external drive. Just Drag and Drop it (make sure you don't move it by accident).

Depending on the size of your library, it may take a while...

Like the previous poster said, using time machine is a very good solution also.

The actual photos in iPhoto are stored in your iPhoto Library and it is not designed for you to access them individually outside of iPhoto, although they are there if you know what you are doing.

If you need to access them individually, then drag them out of iPhoto into your external drive as suggested by a previous poster...

poredoor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Thank you you all so much. it's very useful for me.

Thank you you all. It's very useful for me.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I never put my images directly into iPhoto or Aperture. Instead, I have a folder on my desktop into which I import my images, using a card reader, and then I've got the option of how to handle them after that. I usually review them all first in a program called Photo Mechanic and then only import the ones I know I'm going to work on into Aperture. In the past I've used iPhoto a few times for images from my iPhone but now I use the gallery on MobileMe.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I never put my images directly into iPhoto or Aperture. Instead, I have a folder on my desktop into which I import my images, using a card reader, and then I've got the option of how to handle them after that. I usually review them all first in a program called Photo Mechanic and then only import the ones I know I'm going to work on into Aperture. In the past I've used iPhoto a few times for images from my iPhone but now I use the gallery on MobileMe.

I think the number one root cause of corrupted photo libraries is beginners trying to do the above. That is, use "referenced" files in an iPhoto or Aperture library or manually moving files. It works if you know what you are doing but most people done understand and mess up. I think it's best to just tell beginners to use the library and let iPhoto manage the files. I'm not trying to put down the OP, but the guy did not know how to copy files to an external disk and certainly does not know the difference between dragging the screen preview image and the full-res image file to a folder.

I find it's faster to import directly into Aperture because Aperture lets you edit, stack, select and rate the images just as soon as the first file is downloaded. I don't have to wait for all the images to be copied into the computer. If you shoot RAW, have a slow USB card reader and can judge the images quickly you can almost be done with the first pass just as the download is complete. The keyboard accelerator keys are very fast an allow review to keep pace with download speed.

I've gotten to trust Aperture and just use it's "vault" system for backups. I keep several vault disks and then I also use Time Machine.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've never had a problem with Aperture in this regard: I import directly into Aperture and let it manage my files. Besides my Time Machine backup and my two vaults give me plenty of safety nets.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have never had any problems using the method I describe; it works for me. That way, only the images I really want in Aperture are going to be in there and I simply discard the rest, which is quicker doing it outside of Aperture than within it. I also do not do anything until my images have been completely imported from the CF card to the computer; usually I am not in that much of a hurry that I can't make sure that the process has completed successfully before I start doing anything.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I have never had any problems using the method I describe; it works for me. That way, only the images I really want in Aperture are going to be in there and I simply discard the rest, which is quicker doing it outside of Aperture than within it.
Really?
I find it much, much simpler (and quicker) to use ratings to hide pictures and then I can double-check (if I want to) whether or not to delete them.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I first got Aperture when it debuted, I tried the ratings system for a while but decided I really didn't care for that. I've found that for me it's better to be very black-and-white about this: either I'm going to post-process an image or I'm going to trash it.

Wren523

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Northshore Boston, MA
I am having trouble moving an iphoto library to my external drive. I have been getting messages that my idisk is almost full and when I tried to add songs to itunes it said it couldn't cuz my disk was full.
I have tons of photos so I decided to make an iphoto library of current year photos, delete those from the original iphoto library and move the original iphoto library with pre-2009 phots to the external disk. When I try to drag the iphoto library to the external disk a forbidden (circle with slash through it) icon appears, however if I drag it to other shared disks it seems that it would let me move it there. Why do you suppose it is preventing me from adding to external drive?
Thanks.
I have a MacBook Pro13 that I got the day the new Snow Leopard came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.