Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zduhac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Hi all,

I'm trying to do the impossible: Change my current Apple ID that ends with a me.com email to a completely new @icloud.com email address.

Theoretically this should be easy as you are allowed to change the Apple ID from one icloud.com/me.com/mac.com email to another but the issue is that I am unable to find a way to get my hands on a icloud.com email that is not in some way tied to a(ny) Apple ID.

If you create a completely new Apple ID (iOS device setup) and grab a new icloud.com email address, you are then unable to free it since you do not have anything to replace it with and you are back in the same position you began with only with one more Apple ID.

If you create a completely new Apple ID (iOS device setup) and use a third-party email address (e.g. gmail.com) and then use iCloud to create a new icloud.com address, that second email address becomes a permanent alias to your Gmail Apple ID and there is no way to remove it and free it up. And you are unable to even add that same email address to any other Apple ID's even as a "reachable at" email since it's connected to a different Apple ID (regardless of how).

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?
I'm now currently stuck with my old me.com Apple ID and have also created at least two more and a couple of Gmail addresses to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.