Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Eric Rougier of fromparis.com has created an excellent Quicktime movie tutorial for the steps involved with creating a QTVR (excluding the creation of a PTMac template). He uses a Nikon D70 + 10.5mm Fisheye Lens and 360Precision panoramic head (iGary and I both use this head as well). It's great fun to shoot QTVR - even better because you can make pretty good money doing it :D Even if you're not going to take the plunge for the hardware, I think the tutorial is very interesting to watch!

Click here for the video in French.
For a full screen version of the QTVR shot in the tutorial click here.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Cooknn said:
Eric Rougier of fromparis.com has created an excellent Quicktime movie tutorial for the steps involved with creating a QTVR (excluding the creation of a PTMac template). He uses a Nikon D70 + 10.5mm Fisheye Lens and 360Precision panoramic head (iGary and I both use this head as well). It's great fun to shoot QTVR - even better because you can make pretty good money doing it :D Even if you're not going to take the plunge for the hardware, I think the tutorial is very interesting to watch!

That was cool - Makes me want to go out and buy the equipment I'd need to create those!

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
crazzyeddie said:
Awesome. It took more steps than I thought it would, honestly.
There's even more to it than that. He didn't even touch on how to create the template with control points between the images so that it stitches perfectly for every batch (or series) of shots. He spends a lot of time on the Nadir (bottom). I just drop my logo in over the hole and get out of Dodge :cool:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks for the link. Your QTVR on your website look amazing - How do you light the homes? How did you get your name out there?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
njmac said:
Your QTVR on your website look amazing - How do you light the homes? How did you get your name out there?
Thanks! To get good lighting I open all curtains and turn on all the lights. I shoot at F8 and the lowest ISO - and since I'm using a tripod I just adjust the shutter speed accordingly. I've photographed some very dark rooms. Some that needed as much as 2" to expose, but they look well lit when I'm done with 'em :p

As far as getting your name out there... I work for a real estate team in the evenings doing ad's and brochures, etc. There are about 150 agents in the building and since I pass most of them in the halls, etc. I already have an "in". If they ever need a virtual tour most of them know who to call ;) Plus, once your work is out on the MLS, agents from all over your area will see your stuff and you'll get calls from them as well.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
That's a great niche for photographers :cool: Are there any downsides to the business?

BTW, Great thread!

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I've been holding off on a lens and this head ... You people aren't helping.

If I knew, for a fact, that it would pay for itself in short order, I'd jump on it. I just don't know that I can sink that much money into a lens/head and *hope* that it pays for itself. :(

How much do you normally charge for a QTVR?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
njmac said:
That's a great niche for photographers :cool: Are there any downsides to the business?
None, that I am aware of.

ChrisBrightwell said:
How much do you normally charge for a QTVR?
On average I make about $150 per virtual tour. Sometimes more if I can upsell the agent with additional nodes, CD's, etc. You can view my pricelist by clicking the link in my sig'.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
njmac said:
Any idea on why your QTVR looks so much better than the hgtv dream home QTVR?
Because theirs is not QTVR. Java pano's blow. Like everything else Apple does, QuicktimeVR is head and shoulders above the competition. Nothing comes close to the QTVR experience IMHO. My customers have no problem with the requirement for the Quicktime Player - I give them a link to the standalone install to keep it down in size as much as possible. Most of them already have it though ;)

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
ok, I didn't notice it wasn't quicktime - just that it looked terrible!

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
That's awesome, but I don't think I could ever afford to drop £500+ on the tripod head... That's more than $900USD!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.