Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jplg842

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Hey everyone
i took some pictures today with someone wearing sunglasses. but it all showed me in the reflection of the glasses!
how can i remove that.. to just back or anything else... using adobe cs3 or iphoto....
knowing that i never edit photos and dont know how to use photoshop!

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
using adobe cs3 or iphoto....
knowing that i never edit photos and dont know how to use photoshop

No time like the present to learn.

I take out the reflections on glasses of all chosen pictures for the bride and groom album's I design. Due to the volume of images (my studio shoots up to 4 weddings a Saturday (using trusted subcontractors), and the fact that I'm the guy who does the post during the week on all the images, I do this often.

The below technique is pretty basic, but for a beginner, it's a great way to start. I'm suggesting it, because in the world of retouching, you'll be using it often. In addition to unwanted reflections, this also works great for smiles, closed eyes, bad expressions, etc. That's why I'm suggesting this instead of other techniques, which you might need in this case. I'll let someone else explain those OR post the picture and I'll explain when I see it and I have more time. You can also email me at mattw126@mac.com

I always start by looking at other shots taken of the subject. If there's one that was shot inside (without direct flash), I'll use this image. If it's a sunglass reflection, this probably won't apply, but another image might have less reflection, start with that.

Simply make a selection using the marquee tool (keyboard shortcut: M), and grab as much face as you want (you can't really overdue it).

Next select the Move tool (V) and drag your selection into the picture your editing.

Reduce the opacity to something like 50% in the layers palette and use Free Transform (Command + T) until the glasses match up. It's important to hold down the Shift key while enlarging as it constrains proportions.

Select the Eraser tool (E) and control click (secondary mouse button) on the canvas to reduce the softness of the brush. Experiment with what works best with the image and erase everything on the 'borrowed' sunglass' layer that you don't need. Using a soft brush usually blends the new layer in well.

Bring your opacity back up and make sure color cast is not an issue using curves, levels, selective color, etc. all found under Image> Adjustments.

Flatten the image under the menu Layers and then use the Clone Stamp (S) to refine your retouch.

In this image I used his left eye to recreate his 'right eye' using the above technique. Just add a Edit> Transform > Flip Horizontal step, if one eye is good, but the other is unable to be retrieved.
ReflectionExample.jpg

After writing all that, I can't help but think this technique will not apply at all to your situation, but it's a good tool to have in your toolbox for future portrait issues. I hope it helps in this regard. Like I mentioned if you post the image, I can tell you the specific, fastest way of remedying your problem - to the best of my knowledge.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Find the photographer in the picture is a fun game, removing the reflection now may be quite difficult. What makes you visible? Are there bright colors being reflected or just a relatively colorless reflection? If colors are your problem you may be able to clean things up a bit, but it is unlikely you will ever completely clean it up. Your best bet is definitely a polarizer next time.

jplg842

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
thanks mattw126 im trying it now

i was shooting outside.. and the sunlight on the ground and walls made them appear so clear on the glasses..
how does the polarizer help reduce that?

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Hopefully for future reference you'll ask the subject to tilt their glasses down a notch before shooting it saves you a lot of time afterward or tilt their chin down.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
A lot of the time, reflected light has some polarization. By adjusting the polarizer, you can minimize or maximize this reflected light depending on the desired effect. I can't give you an technical explanation, I can just tell you that it has always worked to some extent, sometimes completely.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
thanks mattw126 im trying it now
No problem, like I said you can use that in a variety of situations. Definitely post a before/after, or if you have a chance, post a 'before' for us to see.

Polarizer

*Water and reflective surfaces*
By eliminating reflections, the polarizing filter will tend to make water and other reflective surfaces more transparent. The effect will also vary depending on the angle to the reflective surface. If you place your camera very low above a river, the effect will be very limited. If you shoot from a bridge above it, the water will look totally transparent.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey everyone
i took some pictures today with someone wearing sunglasses. but it all showed me in the reflection of the glasses!
how can i remove that.. to just back or anything else... using adobe cs3 or iphoto....
knowing that i never edit photos and dont know how to use photoshop!

Wow. You spent the big $$ in CS3 and don't use it? Read up on masks and adjustment layers

What I would do in CS3 is first make a "mask" that selects the dark lenses. Then an adjustment layer. Then I'd adjust any highlights or maybe even mid tones in the lenses down to dark tones. I would not use any of the brush tools, Id simply squash the tone values down but don't over do it or you will have solid black. Adjust it just to the point of it looking fake, then back up. If you do it as an adjustment layer it is non-destructive so if you save as a PSD file you will always be able to go back to tweak the effect.

Next time you do a shoot and the subject does not want to remove the glasses the polarized filter can help but if this is a set up formal shoot an old trick that goes back maybe about 100+ years is to remove the glass from the frames. Not only does this completely prevent reflections but it removes optical distortion where an eye looks larger or smaller through the glasses. The other trick is to use lights that have built-in modeling lights so you can check for reflections and shadows before the shutter is tripped.

jplg842

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
i did this using the burn tool. and it kinda worked..
this is one of the first pictures i took using any slr camera

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
jplg842, I say job well done for one of your first forays into PS. ChrisA mentioned the use of masking. I think you'll find this aspect of PS to be incredibly powerful in the editing of your images. There are plenty of tutorials online and books solely dedicated to the subject, it's worth your time to learn it. Scott Kelby has an excellent online training site for $20 a month. I have an account, but split the cost between 2 other photographers as well as my dad, so I only pay $5. With content being added regularly from contributers like Dave Cross, Matt Kloskowski, Moose Peterson, etc. it's well worth it.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
After writing all that, I can't help but think this technique will not apply at all to your situation, but it's a good tool to have in your toolbox for future portrait issues. I hope it helps in this regard. Like I mentioned if you post the image, I can tell you the specific, fastest way of remedying your problem - to the best of my knowledge.

I appreciated it.

i did this using the burn tool. and it kinda worked..
this is one of the first pictures i took using any slr camera

Ah! It's the red martian from mars!!! Bring down that red level!

If you lighten up his glasses a little it'll be better--few people have purely black glasses.

Another idea is to use the clonestamp, but after seeing the photo the reflection is too encompassing to have much to clone with…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.