Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiro_hamada

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
I deleted all messages from all devices, including iPhone, iPad and Mac. There are zero messages right now. I deleted Messages folder in Library and let Messages generate new one, just to be sure that they are removed from hard drive. I've deleted all backups that were kept in iCloud for each device separately and created new backups with all messages erased. However, there's still 26.6GB of messages in iCloud that I cannot delete?! I've read all over the internet about this topic and just couldn't find a solution.

Messages are one of the most private things we have, and I just can't imagine there's no way to be deleted from iCloud?

Please check my screenshot taken from System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Storage.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 513

hiro_hamada

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
Seems like from iOS 11 or 11.3 there's no toggle for iCloud Messages anymore? Can anyone with older iOS confirm? Also when you go into Manage Storage, there's no option to delete those messages from iCloud anymore.

Anyone else see this as a potential big privacy issue?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Call Apple and see what they say!

As to privacy...Messages and SMS are two-way. You can't control what the other people do. Though, it would be nice to know they aren't on a cloud server you're supposed to be able to control.

hiro_hamada

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
Call Apple and see what they say!

As to privacy...Messages and SMS are two-way. You can't control what the other people do. Though, it would be nice to know they aren't on a cloud server you're supposed to be able to control.

Exactly, I don't want my lifetime messages history stored somewhere in one place. It's so strange no one else is concerned about this.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I remember reading somewhere that the pictures attached to messages are kept separately from the actual messages. I can't remember if it said where and what you can do about them. This is my memory so I could be wrong but a thought

hiro_hamada

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
This is the total size of messages + attachments. It matches folder size on my computer which I also never deleted, until now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.