Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuzzyBumblebee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2023
I hate web search in Spotlight. I hate the concept, I don't want to see it, I have never and will never use it so it just gets in the way. If I want to search on the web, I'll open a browser and search there.
See image 1, where an intrusive suggestion to search on the web is the first suggestion in Spotlight in Sonoma -- compare that with image 2, Spotlight search in Mojave, where there is no forced web search. I would like to remove that because it's useless to me. In fact, in the Sonoma settings (image 3) I do have web search disabled.

Image 1: Bad, what is Firefox doing there prompting me to search? Especially as the very first entry? Why put the most useless option at the top?! (Sonoma)
I Hate Web Search.png

Image 2: Spotlight settings: I've disabled websites, so why is it present in Image 1? (Sonoma)
Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 7.04.15 PM.png

For comparison, this bug did not used to be present.

Image 3: Good, only shows me local files (Mojave)
Good no web search 1.png

Images 4 and 5: Mojave Spotlight settings for comparison:
Good no web search 2.png

Image 5: Mojave Spotlight settings continued.
Good no web search 3.png

Please, if you know any terminal hacks or whatever to get rid of the web search suggestion, share them. Thank you.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've always hated this Spotlight automatic Web search feature myself. I had no idea you could turn it off like this so I just did. Yeah, it still presents a button I can press to trigger the search, but I can live with that. I just don't want the results cluttering up the info I'm really looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiniApple

BuzzyBumblebee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2023
I was going to ask how those solve it, I looked up the commands since I don't want to run something in Terminal if I have no idea what it does and I didn't see anything to do with Web Search. Thank you for the warning, bogdanw!

johnny5quid

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
I've noticed this too and I also use Firefox as my default browser. If I click on any spotlight link it searches in Google using Firefox.

But if I change my preferred search to DuckDuckGo (for example) in Safari preferences, the spotlight link will open using DuckDuckGo in Firefox.

So to me it looks like some deep integration between Safari to create that spotlight link which is passed along to the default browser...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.