Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowchaser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
Hi Community,

I recently switched away from iPhone to Android, but keep using my Macbook Pro retina. Just found out that almost 200GB on my MacBook are taken by the iPhoto library file, so I am planning to move it away to an external drive to save space.
Does anyone have good advice on how to dismantle iPhoto library, i.e. pick out photos and remove trash etc? iPhoto was piling up all I was doing with my iPhone for the last years, and I am a bit worried that just dumping this pile I would lose some useful photos. However Photos app itself on Mac isn't that user friendly.

Thanks!
Flowchaser

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
What do you mean by "piling up"??
You can open your iPhoto Library in Finder and it is a normal folder structure. Your originals are all under Masters folder, ordered by import date. You can take it from there.
Trash can be emptied within iPhoto itself.

flowchaser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
What do you mean by "piling up"??
You can open your iPhoto Library in Finder and it is a normal folder structure. Your originals are all under Masters folder, ordered by import date. You can take it from there.
Trash can be emptied within iPhoto itself.

I cannot open this file as a folder. Clicking on the file opens up Photos app on my Mac.
I tried copying it to external drive, but it takes hours, and fails somewhere in the middle. I would prefer now to somehow "extract" the photos I need out of this Library,and copy them to my hard drive. Then just delete the file itself

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
You have to right click on the photo library (found in your pictures folder) and click on show package contents to display the masters folder. That's the one you want.

Reactions: Partron22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.