Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
After 14 years spent on computers running only Windows from XP to 10, I bought Mac and I got used to work on it within two days and the machine is absolutely great and better than I thought but some things on my new Mac PC are much different than on my Windows PC and I need help how to learn these things?

How to open a folder with double click? I need to right click and then select open. I use only trackpad.
How to make Alt + F4?
How to delete backwards?
There is no smaller delete button next to big one.
I can't put programs on desktop, just files (photos) and folders (?!) I want to have photos app on the desktop.
Are option and commands left and right to a space button the same?
How to make caps lock but for just first letter?
Is fn = alt?
I need alt + e and alt + f (and alt + f4)

Biggest question: Is command = crtl? Crtl + S to save is Command + S on Mac?

Because I don't know these things sometimes I gotta use my Windows PC so any help would be fine (alt + f4 is my biggest issue here).

Thanks!

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
After 14 years spent on computers running only Windows from XP to 10, I bought Mac and I got used to work on it within two days and the machine is absolutely great and better than I thought but some things on my new Mac PC are much different than on my Windows PC and I need help how to learn these things?

How to open a folder with double click? I need to right click and then select open. I use only trackpad.
How to make Alt + F4?
How to delete backwards?
I can't put programs on desktop, just files (photos) and folders (?!) I want to have photos app on the desktop.
Is fn = alt?

Because I don't know these things sometimes I gotta use my Windows PC so any help would be fine (alt + f4 is my biggest issue here).

Thanks!
I am exactly like you, all my life on Windows and just bought a MacBook, getting into it can be annoying as everything you know is different but once you get used to it, it becomes second nature and I never wanna go back to Windows and their stupid updates that break the system every week and their bugs.

How to open a folder with double click? Go to Settings > Trackpad and enable everything there, then double tapping will work to open things
How to make Alt + F4? Press Command + W on your keyboard, also in Safari that closes the active tab you're on
How to delete backwards? Press fn + Delete
I can't put programs on desktop, just files (photos) and folders (?!) I want to have photos app on the desktop. You can't, this is not Windows, Apps only go to the Apps folder. If you want it easily accessible, once you open it, right click on the icon in the launch bar > Options > Keep in dock
Are option and commands left and right to a space button the same? No idea
How to make caps lock but for just first letter? Just hold shift button and type the first letter to capitalize it then release and continue typing
Is fn = alt? I need alt + e and alt + f (and alt + f4) I don't have the answer to that

Reactions: 9873697

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
A lot of keyboard shortcuts will line up like this, such that ⌘S lines up with Ctrl+S on Windows for saving in this case. But that’s not a guarantee by any means, especially as you get into more specific app functions.

Also, if you prefer, you can re-map keyboard shortcuts to whatever you like in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts as long as there’s a corresponding item in the menu bar. For example, I commonly use ⌘W in Safari to close a tab but miss the W and instead hit ⌘Q, which quits Safari by default. I’ve thus changed the shortcut to quit Safari to ⌥⌘Q, so that I won’t accidentally quit Safari when I just want to close a tab. You could use this if you have difficulty retraining some muscle memory on keyboard shortcuts, but I’d do that sparingly because your custom shortcuts will be lost should you ever need to do a clean reinstall of macOS or use another Mac (that is, they aren’t synced over iCloud or anything like that).

And in reference to another question about whether left option and right option keys are the same, yes. There are some edge cases where they’re treated differently, but from what you’ve said I don’t think you’ll run into them.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Actually you can, in a way. Don't know you would want to, and not use the dock. But, create an alias of any application and place that on the desktop. It will behave exactly the the original app in the applications folder.

Lou

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
@Ultra Male I wrote it down on a paper and did a screenshot and put it also on my desktop so I know. I alredy learned by heart Command W. Thanks alot!

@jonblatho I went to the settings and saw it and I have your reply on a screenshot if I forget something.

@flowrider I did! It is so easy. I need it because of notes, I have it next to the folders.

@mmomega Thanks for letting me know, I am reading it now.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Glad I could help Unknown.jpeg

Lou

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Easy way to put apps, mail most any thing on desk top is just drag and drop.

For example: Go to applications, shove your screen over an inch where you can see a peice of the desk top, drag your app over and drop it. A copy will remain in apps.

I then make files by project and can hold them on my desk top just like Windows .LOL. a2

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

How to make Alt + F4?
How to delete backwards?
Is fn = alt?

Thanks!

How to make Alt + F4? While ⌘W was covered. It depends on your intentions. ⌘Q is also applicable. ⌘W closes a window. Even with all windows closed most programs remain open in macOS. ⌘Q quits the program.

Is fn = alt? MacOS doesn't have file menus which work like that. While you can do a quick shortcut to the file and edit menus like in Windows. The closest you can get is ctrl + F2. This will shift focus to the :apple: menu. You can then navigate with the arrow keys or letter keys. Arrow keys will let you move around, down arrow opens the highlighted menu. Letter keys work by the first item starting with that letter. So, ctrl + F2 then e then p would normally get you to edit and paste.

I can't put programs on desktop, just files (photos) and folders (?!) I want to have photos app on the desktop. Choose the program you want. ⌘+L to make an alias. Move the alias to the desktop. The Dock and Launchpad are really better places though.

Is command = crtl? There is some common crossover.

Learn the option letters and option + shift letters when typing. There are all sorts of symbol keys already mapped. While convoluted. It's much better than the Windows alternative. If you want to type the £ symbol on a US keyboard. In Windows you have to hold alt and type 0163. In macOS you do option + 3.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
I too went through the transition after over 20 years on Windows and here are the simple steps I used with an MS key board. No big retraining necessary for every day use. :)

Control=CTRL
Option=ALT
Command=The windows key
Delete=Backspace.

Screen shot=Shift - windows key- 3 or 5. Good luck. a2

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
now I dont know how to use my windows laptop. I click alt instrad of crtl haha. I use both computers and when I dont turn on Windows one I cant do copy and paste as I do a Mac comand. Thats funny as I use Mac since September and Windows since I was 9

Reactions: a2jack

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
I alredy got used to them. Some things are better on pc like chaning your keyboard (left corner) so I can choose qwertz and qwerty but now when I use pc I see how much better is done on mac like command and its position, makes more logic now. It didnt took me long to get used to the keyboard like 10 days in total

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.