Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
I saw this and had to know how it was done. Google was no help, so I turn here. :)

Attachments

• n1075710135_30003713_401.jpg
    n1075710135_30003713_401.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 940

macboy62

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Tokyo
Do you mean like this...

fire-splash.jpg

Image/Adjustments...
Photo Filter: Warming Filter LBA 100%

Saturation: Master +150
Lightness: +5

Contrast: +12

Hope this helps :)

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
if you really wanna go crazy you can try to put the guy in the cayak and the rocks on the edges of the photo on different layers and invert just the water, that i think would look way more cool!
it would involve some detailed masking work i gather but no pain no gain :D

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Do you mean like this...

fire-splash.jpg

Image/Adjustments...
Photo Filter: Warming Filter LBA 100%

Saturation: Master +150
Lightness: +5

Contrast: +12

Hope this helps :)
ehh, not exactly. :) The pic you started with was VERY blue, very saturated. River water doesn't look like that (unfortunately :( ). Its much more of a murky brown, like this.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 5,026
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 5,057

macboy62

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Tokyo
Okay I'm not a Photoshop expert, but this is nearer to your original image.

It cannot be how the original was made because there is some colour change on the canoeist in the original that looks like an invert or solarization.

All I did different was to start by using Hue & Saturation to Colorize the image red and increase the saturation.

I made a clipping make of the canoeist and reeds to show the original image. I know someone with better skills / more time could make this part look better but it does show the basic technique for turning water in to fire.

The choice of image will help give a better fire / lava look, not so sure this images looks like fire but the colours are near and it is done from the river browns.

macboy62

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Tokyo
Well I have tried to find a filter for photoshop that could make this effect but I have had no luck.

All I can do is "jack around" with the Image Adjustments until I got near to the right effect. No; I guess it isn't really fire as in flames, but it does look like oil that is on fire, in the water drop photo, or lava maybe, the splash in the first photo makes it look like an explosion at least.

I tried another photo to try out some filters and I think it looks better if you don't mask the canoeist, that way we get the feeling of heat and light around them. Definitely choosing the right water splash will improve the effect, not so many big round droplets looks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.