Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k1ngsley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2018
Retina MacBook PRO 15 2012 w GT650m.
When I play games/use high GPU demand soft, my pc start to black screen/reboot, because of GPU reaching 80'+ degrees (or to high clock/voltage).
Maxout fans isn’t working.
I can underclock GPU in Windows and it fixes problems.
Any how to fix GPU in Mac OS? Kexts, EFI mods, Apps?
Is it possible to flash GT650m’s bios, like in Windows PCs, to make it work?

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
I'm going to begin by laying out what I feel is the hard truth. Your MBP's GPU is likely in the process of failing. If you can't afford to replace it at the moment I'd highly recommend you refrain from any prolonged non required GPU intensive operations (Gaming). If it's crashing/overheating in productivity apps that's a really bad sign.

As for your actual question (under-clocking the GPU), I did some brief searching and while their used to be a macOS utility called Zues for overriding the clock-speed of Nvidia GPU's, it appears its no longer maintained. You MIGHT be able to use the Clover Bootloader and other hackintosh tools to load a v(irtual)Bios on your GPU to force an under-clock, but again, a brief search mostly just turned up people saying NOT to use those tools with a real mac...

Finally, don't flash your GPU. I highly doubt there's a mac rom available to edit, and even if there was, editing and reflashing risks rendering your machine completely useless if you mess up.

If you can, it's probably time to replace it. If that's not an immediate option, I'd strongly suggest you start saving for the day the GPU just flat out dies. In the meantime, under-clocking the GPU and just using Windows may be a way to buy yourself a bit more time, but bear in mind it's just a bandaid.

k1ngsley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2018
Looks like the only option is to use GFXCardStatus and save money for a new MacBook((((

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.