Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I wish to experiment with dubbing on some mkv files i have. Can u help me in planing the available steps on the dubbing process? A few information on what i wish to do. The video i wish to dubb is in English. I have subtitle files in English and other language. I wish to make dubbing with language diff than english. How would you suggest to start and what apps should i use?

Leonard.Green

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
If it was me, I would do it in a dirty way, just to see results quickly.

1. Use Handbrake program to convert mkv to something that iMovie and Garageband can work with.
2. Drop that movie file to Garageband to have a track of original audio with video window.
3. Playback original track and record dubbing on a separate track in Garageband.
4. Mix it in Garageband with your dubb louder and bounce the audio.
5. Drop into iMovie both - that same movie file that Handbrake produced, and bounced audio from Garageband.
6. Replace audio in iMovie and export the file.

Mkv is a pretty sweet container, it can handle multiple audio tracks. You could use something on windows with paid software to just add recorded file to mkv. My way is bit more hassle-involved but its free.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikzn

Leonard.Green

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
If you want, you could replace a couple of steps with MKVToolNix, if you bounce the audio to m4a from Garageband you can pretty easily drop that and the existing mkv file onto MKVToolNix and generate a new file with both audio tracks.

That is an excellent idea. No need to use iMovie in this case. I didn't know there was a free program like that for mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.