Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello,
I am using MacBook Pro 2020 as client and have to connect to PC in my office. I have to use PIV and smart Card for authentication. I use Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for VPN and provide my PIV. It get recognized with no issue and now I'm in business network.
I downloaded Microsoft Remote Desktop for Apple MacBook and added PC to workspace.
Now when I try to connect to remote PC it asks for my creds
but only allow to provide username and password. When I do this from Windows client ... it give me options to provide either username/password or Smart Card ... but not on Mac
I don't see the option to provide PIV and PIN.
Hence ... how could I enforce my MacBook client to provide me access using PIV?
Thanks
----

I looked again and found Microsoft Remote Desktop app has a Tab for devices in configuration. It provided the option to select Smart Card for redirection call after login. Well .. I still had to provide username/password for application but this time after login ... this setting forced Remote PC to request PIV authentication. Finally I saw the error that I think lead to 'bad' PIV and missing some certificates. Does it make sense ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 9.54.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 9.54.10 PM.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
not problem related: just to follow good security protocol I suggest to obscure the remote device name in any screen shots, at least when these are on governmental, institutional or company internal networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.