Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

passeggero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Hello,
How to erase data from SSD with APFS, High Sierra, if SMART is failing and the whole file system is read-only?
Disk Utilities, recovery mode, single user mode, SIP disabling, chmod didn't help me.

Disk Utility in recovery mode shows for an APFS Container
warning: Overallocation Detected on Main device: (1345511+1) bitmap address (26254)
The volume /dev/disk1s2 appears to be OK

and for SSD
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Failing

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
With GParted, an APFS Container can be deleted, formated to a different file system or cleared.
Be careful to select the container/partition you want to erase.
GParted.jpg

passeggero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
With GParted, an APFS Container can be deleted, formated to a different file system or cleared.

Nothing came out. GParted can not format or delete partitions/container on my SSD with failing SMART and Read-Only file system :(

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Nothing came out. GParted can not format or delete partitions/container on my SSD with failing SMART and Read-Only file system :(
You should probably consider saving your data to an external drive and erasing the whole SSD. You can try from GParted - Device - Create Partition Table... select gpt
gpt.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.