Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hello there,

this is a rather silly question, but I never found a solution to it. I have two or three phone numbers in the Favorites list that can call me anytime, even when the Do Not Disturb mode is activated. However, when these persons send me a message, the phone doesn't make a sound.

Would there be a way to get an alert when receiving a message from a favorite number when DnD is active?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Only calls can get an exception when it comes to DND.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Buy an Apple Watch you know you wanna ;)
That wouldn't solve this problem. If you phone is on DND, so is the watch, unless you turn off DND mirroring. But then in order to activate DND for both devices, you would have to manually activate it and deactivate it on the watch.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
That wouldn't solve this problem. If you phone is on DND, so is the watch, unless you turn off DND mirroring. But then in order to activate DND for both devices, you would have to manually activate it and deactivate it on the watch.
If you were using an Apple Watch you wouldn't need dnd ;)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The Apple Watch is all about discrete notifications.
Thats not the point of DND. The point of DND is so you are not awoken in the middle of the night from notifications, or if you are in a meeting and cannot be disturbed. If I get a text message, yes it notifies my watch at first, but after 2 minutes, my iPhone will alert me of the message. Phone calls go to both devices at the same time.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thats not the point of DND. The point of DND is so you are not awoken in the middle of the night from notifications, or if you are in a meeting and cannot be disturbed. If I get a text message, yes it notifies my watch at first, but after 2 minutes, my iPhone will alert me of the message. Phone calls go to both devices at the same time.
Use the silent switch on the phone and turn vibrate when on silent off and you get the perfect stealth setup. I don't need a lesson in how dnd works. Thanks

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Use the silent switch on the phone and turn vibrate when on silent off and you get the perfect stealth setup. I don't need a lesson in how dnd works. Thanks

Wow. A little testy aren't you? Just because that setup may work for you doesn't mean it works for others. I have to keep my phone on silent 99% of the time, so I do need the vibrate on when phone is in silent mode.

Your solution does not give the OP anything near what they are asking. They want DND enabled except for a couple of people i.e. favorites. So having an Apple Watch doesn't change anything that the OP is looking for. By turning off DND completely then unwanted calls and notifications would go through and if the OP has an Apple Watch, those notifications will go there. The idea is not to have notifications during DND to not show up period, except from his/her favorite list.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wow. A little testy aren't you? Just because that setup may work for you doesn't mean it works for others. I have to keep my phone on silent 99% of the time, so I do need the vibrate on when phone is in silent mode.

Your solution does not give the OP anything near what they are asking. They want DND enabled except for a couple of people i.e. favorites. So having an Apple Watch doesn't change anything that the OP is looking for. By turning off DND completely then unwanted calls and notifications would go through and if the OP has an Apple Watch, those notifications will go there. The idea is not to have notifications during DND to not show up period, except from his/her favorite list.
Now who's getting testy lol

Hey if you can't grasp the concept then I won't explain it ;)

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
if DND improvements - like extending contact exclusions to message notifcations and possibly 3rd party apps notifications (linked to a contact via new API) - aren't a feature of iOS X i'll eat my hat

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
if DND improvements - like extending contact exclusions to message notifcations and possibly 3rd party apps notifications (linked to a contact via new API) - aren't a feature of iOS X i'll eat my hat
Various people have been hoping for that pretty much with every iOS release since the iOS 6 days basically.

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
No way but maybe there's a workaround: set "none" to all the text tone and other alert sounds you don't want to listen, and then set a custom alert only to contacts you want. There's not the solution but maybe yes (depends on your use of the phone).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.