Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
So I just installed and formatted a new ssd (Samsung 850 Evo) as replacement for my old hdd on my MBP 13" 2011 late. Now my question is how to get os x up and running on the new ssd?

1. Is it possible to install a new copy of OS X Lion through Internet Recovery and then upgrade to Yosemite through App Store?

2. Or do I have to make a bootable installation of OS X on a USB? (Would prefer the other way if possible)
:)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You can do either 1 or 2.

#1 will work fine so long as your machine had the update for internet recovery. Hold option when booting, boot from WIFI, put in your appleID when prompted...follow the bouncing ball.

Is how i got mavericks on my 2011 when i ripped out the stock drive and replaced with a Momentus XT.

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015

#1 will work fine so long as your machine had the update for internet recovery. Hold option when booting, boot from WIFI, put in your appleID when prompted...follow the bouncing ball.

Is how i got mavericks on my 2011 when i ripped out the stock drive and replaced with a Momentus XT.

About "#1 will work fine so long as your machine had the update for internet recovery", I'm not really sure if it had. I don't think I personally have done anything to update it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
About "#1 will work fine so long as your machine had the update for internet recovery", I'm not really sure if it had. I don't think I personally have done anything to update it.

If you've been installing Apple updates, internet recovery was an update you would have received in 2011 or 2012 from memory - an EFI firmware update.

The 2011 machines didn't ship with it.

Last edited:

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
If you've been installing Apple updates, internet recovery was an update you would have received in 2011 or 2012 from memory.

The 2011 machines didn't ship with it.

I have been updating the machine regularly (was running Yosemite before my hdd died and therefore bought the ssd). But a clean installation of OS X Lion from Internet Recovery shouldn't be a problem then?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
So I just installed and formatted a new ssd (Samsung 850 Evo) as replacement for my old hdd on my MBP 13" 2011 late. Now my question is how to get os x up and running on the new ssd?

1. Is it possible to install a new copy of OS X Lion through Internet Recovery and then upgrade to Yosemite through App Store?

2. Or do I have to make a bootable installation of OS X on a USB? (Would prefer the other way if possible)
:)

If you have a Time Machine backup, you can restore that directly to the new SSD.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Unfortunately I haven't :(

Was your old HDD on Yosemite? If you have a SATA dock, plug it in and hold Alt on startup. You can then boot into the recovery partition on your old HDD and reinstall OS X Yosemite from there.

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Was your old HDD on Yosemite? If you have a SATA dock, plug it in and hold Alt on startup. You can then boot into the recovery partition on your old HDD and reinstall OS X Yosemite from there.

I don't have a SATA dock - but isn't it possible to make a clean installation of OS X Lion on the new ssd in Internet Recovery?

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Make sure you have a backup.

Disks do fail, sometimes without warning, and it's too late if the failure is catastrophic.

How do I make a backup? I guess I'm only able to boot into Internet Recovery at this point.

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Should be.

Have you tried to hold down option on boot and see if you have internet recovery yet? if you do, then yes you can.

I'm in Internet Recovery by now - I just want to be sure that it's possible before doing it. Don't know if it can go wrong, but if it can, how bad could the outcome possible be?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm in Internet Recovery by now - I just want to be sure that it's possible before doing it. Don't know if it can go wrong, but if it can, how bad could the outcome possible be?
If you got the spinning globe then the recovery screen, you are good to go. Just open Disk Util and go to the erase tab and format the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click install OS X at the top and wait for it to finish.

The worst that can happen is it does not work and you still have a new SSD without an OS on it like you do now.

This should get you Lion. Once Lion is installed, then just go to the App Store and DL and install Yosemite.

Reactions: throAU

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
If you got the spinning globe then the recovery screen, you are good to go. Just open Disk Util and go to the erase tab and format the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click install OS X at the top and wait for it to finish.

The worst that can happen is it does not work and you still have a new SSD without an OS on it like you do now.

This should get you Lion. Once Lion is installed, then just go to the App Store and DL and install Yosemite.

I do get the spinning globe and enters internet Recovery easily. But I wasn't able to install Lion (it didn't move for a few hours when saying 27 minutes remaining...)
I guess I'm gonna try making a USB with Yosemite installer and see if I can make it that way.

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Okay, I seriously need help! The ssd seems totally fine, but I can't figure out how to get OS X installed on it. When I boot into Internet Recovery OS X Utilities says "Reinstall Mac OS X" and when I start that installation it says "downlaoding additional components". To me it seems like my machine might think an OS is already installed, since it doesn't just say "Install OS X" ???

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The OS X install, or Internet recovery will have the same choice: Reinstall OS X.
Just let it finish, it will take a fair amount of time. Part of that is "downloading additional components"
That's not because OS X is already installed - but that the internet recovery has to download those parts of the operating system that it needs.
Macs always come with OS X installed, so any install, using a Mac, would technically be a "reinstall" :D
Don't let the wording bother you. Installing or Reinstalling OS X has the same goal.

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
The OS X install, or Internet recovery will have the same choice: Reinstall OS X.
Just let it finish, it will take a fair amount of time. Part of that is "downloading additional components"
That's not because OS X is already installed - but that the internet recovery has to download those parts of the operating system that it needs.
Macs always come with OS X installed, so any install, using a Mac, would technically be a "reinstall" :D
Don't let the wording bother you. Installing or Reinstalling OS X has the same goal.

Ha ha, yeah okay.. Guess I'm just a bit too desperate to get it back running xD
It is now in the process of downloading whatever it needs to download, while I'm going to bed in the hopes of waking up to something brighter.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Okay, I seriously need help! The ssd seems totally fine, but I can't figure out how to get OS X installed on it. When I boot into Internet Recovery OS X Utilities says "Reinstall Mac OS X" and when I start that installation it says "downlaoding additional components". To me it seems like my machine might think an OS is already installed, since it doesn't just say "Install OS X" ???
Just to give you a feel for the time... it is downloading about 7GB of stuff to install the OS. So if you are on a slow connection, that can take a while.

I find it helps to have a beer while this is going on. :)

Reactions: throAU

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Just woke up and unfortunately the process hasn't moved anywhere since I left it - starting to loose my patience :/
1439093137113-222876100.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If it has actually now been 6 or 7 hours, that's a little long, I think.
Are you using a wireless connection? Plug in to ethernet, if possible, and try again.

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
If it has actually now been 6 or 7 hours, that's a little long, I think.
Are you using a wireless connection? Plug in to ethernet, if possible, and try again.

Was using a wireless connection and it never came to an end. Decided to make a bootable flash drive installation, worked like a charm and now my MBP is faster than ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.