Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
unfortunately, i am not in a position to be running aperture on my machine for good 6 more months or so, and i need a working solution here.

i plug in my d50 and download the raws to iphoto. so far so good. iphoto is nice in that when it comes to jpegs, you can alter the images within iphoto, but iphoto always maintains the original (which you can always revert to).

my 2 problems are: i work with raw, and iphoto's builtin editing features suck anyway. what i want to do is set photoshop as my external editor, and i can set this in the preferences. so when i double click my raw image in iphoto, it opens up in photoshop's raw converter plugin. after i adjust the image i expect to just click save and see that image now in my iphoto library. but it doesn't work this way. instead, photoshop brings up a save as window buried in some arhaic level of my iphoto library. if i save my edited raw image as jpeg or tiff, it doesn't show up in iphoto. so instead i find myself saving the image *.tif on my desktop, and then re-importing it into iphoto. this is a pain in the ass. can't i get photoshop to work as seamlessly as the built in editor in iphoto?

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm using iPhoto and CS2 with my D50, and its not working nearly as well as I would like. If only we could get that edited photo to go straight back into the iphoto library.

Aperture runs a bit too slow on my 12" powerbook...

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Aperture runs on you 12" PB? I hadn't even considered trying it. what speed is your machine?

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
its a 1.5 GHz|1.25GB RAM

yes, it does take a little bit of hacking to get around the GPU requirements. Google can tell you what code needs to be changed.

But let me tell you, it is pretty slow, but usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.