Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olli321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
I have a huge problem after installing rEFIt. After i used the installer and restarted my Mac 10.9.5 wont start again.

I know there is the option within safeMode (holding down shift key), but i cant get in to safeMode start up somehow. Even when I inserted a USB drive with the Mac installation on it, in order to change the start up option, i could not get in to OSX.

I unscrewed my Mac to get to the hard drive myself, deleted the folders and again nothing. Still Mac does not start. (Folder EFI in root and some rEFIt blesser folder )

Then in SingelMode the bless command wont work cause of read only setting. Same is for diskutil and others.

I also did this COMMMAND ALT P an R in order to reset the NVRAM. But nothing.

I am in pure despair. Is there really Nothing to do?

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
You have to point the firmware into the right direction, so deleting the files is only fixing half of the problem. Are you able to pull up the boot menu by holding down Option when you start up the Mac? If that's not working when you have the install drive plugged in, try holding down Option-R to boot into recovery mode. You can change the firmware Startup Drive setting from in the Utilities Menu in Recovery.

Reactions: olli321

olli321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
It is indeed a recovery mode, but it is via internet!! I cant do it now cause i have internet here only via moblie phone, and my content isnt enough. Whatever but tomorrow. Thx anyway. What is this recovery thing doing, downloading macOS?

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Yes, if you don't have a recovery partition or CD/USB install disk attached, it will boot into Internet Recovery which will just install OS X again. If you can launch the OS X recovery then you can change the Startup Disk setting.

Reactions: olli321

olli321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Which model & year Mac do you have? Internet Recovery will restore the OS that shipped with your Mac.

MACBOOK PRO i7 2011 8,2

I managed to get into Recoverymode.
But there is no HD in the Startup menu!

Then when i try to verify my HD, it gives me errors and wants me to repair.
But the repair option leads to an error as well.
It wants me to get my data down and reinstall the drive.

OMG. Dont wanna do that.
I have lots of programms installed and so on...
Is there no other solution within terminal?

The HD is in Diskutil grayed out and I guess the Mac does not accept its format.
So how to set it up again without a reinstall?

Thx for the answers.

Last edited:

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
I would suggest backing up your drive if you can and reformatting it. I'm not so sure that there's a way to easily fix this without losing the data on the hard drive.

olli321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
will this bless comand in Terminal not help?
bless diskxxx -setboot . Or someting like that.
Maybe someone knows the comand line better before i try.
Already backing up so data wont be lost.
I would like to try, i guess there is not much to **** up more.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
There is probably someone on here that's better with terminal commands, but I would say you could try it. However, since you said the HD wasn't being seen by the Startup Disk menu, I have a feeling that your problem may be more than just pointing the hardware in the right direction. That being said, try it and let us know what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.