Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
From the title I thought you meant Dave Hill from the 70's glam rock band Slade. I thought you were after this look :eek:

s397318a.jpg

Fallencircus

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
I believe part of it is that he uses layers. Meaning he takes the photo and breaks it down and then rebuilds it in a 3D environment. At least in some of it has been done in a few photos. Got me on how he achieves the rest.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
http://www.davehillphoto.com/
Does anyone have any idea on what type of PP was used (I know a lot also has to do with the setup of strobes during the shot)? Looks like it's tone mapped?

I'm pretty sure it not all done in post processing. First and foremost he uses light in a dramatic way. These are all studio shots even the ones that look to be outdoors. It looks to me like he spends some effort to getting the lighting "right". I'd bet he spend as much time before the shutter is snapped than after, in other words these shots are very carefully set up

Next, almost all of these look to be composite shots. The backgrounds and other elements were shot separately them combined in the computer

On top of this it looks like he has played around with tone curves to purposely bring up some highlights and black out some shadows.

Bottom line is, we are all guessing.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2008
from what i have read, you would need a lot of lights (flashes or some source of lights) to get those results.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Lighting is key for achieving that kinda result he uses a ring flash that we can all be sure of and any number of studio strobes with soft boxes no doubt.

I think his styles beautifully mastered honestly

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
1st off, loving the Slade references!!!

Fantastic photos, and if you look at his 'about me' page, he is only 29 (B*****D!)

Anyway, looking at the light in the pictures and when you look at the behind the scenes section you can see he uses a lot of lights, be it in the studio or on location. I'm sure everything is carefully planned to start with by himself and an art director and then long days refining the concept and lighting. He uses a mixture of natural, studio and ring flash and compositing of shots in post too. I also think he may use an element of HDR in his post workflow - if you compare the textures he achieves with some of Valdore's work (check the HDR thread in this forum) you will see similarities. I'd say he is shooting medium format too, in order to get such detail and texture in the shots (and just because setting up such shoots costs so much anyway, what the heck!)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I watched one of his behind the scenes videos (he did a shoot in a hotel room!) and he had a big ring flash around his camera (Which looked to be a 40D, Battery Grip and 50 1.4). He then had a strobe light and a soft box. I'd imagine in his better studio situations he had more lighting done but lighting is generally the key.

The 'How to' linked above helps you do a pretty good job of mimicking, although probably gets you halfway there.

I need to buy lighting equipment. We needs it!

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
This can be done by adjusting fill light and almost every other setting under the develop tab in lightroom, Kelby's tutorial makes use of these techniques.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Here is one that I did from a wedding last week, turned out pretty cool:

priscilla_wedding.jpg

I sent that tutorial over to a friend who tried one out too:

20080806154910_grittyryan.jpg

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
lighting is the reason for his style I believe.

I am sure he spends a lot of time thinking of a lighting set up.

I am just getting into more lighting and its amazing how different things get with more than just your built in camera flash.

its a whole other world to photography.

azamora2005

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
sample?

I just "stole" a picture from internet and try the effect of Mr. Hill (first try)
Is this what you are looking for? - probably not.
greets!

Attachments

• davehill2.jpg
    davehill2.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 181
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.