Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

critic81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
I just got my 2016 15" and am playing with the touchbar. I like having the fn key set to display expanded control strip, but when that is set, how do I get to the function keys? I have yet to figure it out. Has anyone figured it out yet?

ZestyOne

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2009
Paradise
You can't I don't think. I looked at their documentation for the same question, and they expect you to use the stupid on-screen keyboard which sits in your status bar as an icon.

IMO they should absolutely make it so holding shift and function puts the Fn keys back. That would be truly amazing.

critic81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
You can't I don't think. I looked at their documentation for the same question, and they expect you to use the stupid on-screen keyboard which sits in your status bar as an icon.

IMO they should absolutely make it so holding shift and function puts the Fn keys back. That would be truly amazing.

I totally agree. I immediately hit the fn + alt or shift and I got nothing.

ZestyOne

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2009
Paradise
Does holding down the fn key not bring up the traditional F keys?

It's an option in settings (to show expanded controls instead of Fn keys). The only problem is if you turn this off then its impossible to get Fn keys no matter what. They should make it so you can hold shift or alt to RE-trigger Fn keys.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
It's an option in settings (to show expanded controls instead of Fn keys). The only problem is if you turn this off then its impossible to get Fn keys no matter what. They should make it so you can hold shift or alt to RE-trigger Fn keys.
Hmm I was messing Around with those settings last night and could have sworn that it worked. When I get back home I'll see if I can figure something out.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
Post #1 might give you more insight to your question. ;) (just joking around) (don't take my post seriously)

You're right! I had read the post wrong. I had no idea you could set the fn key to display the expanded controls. However couldn't you set the touch bar to display function keys by default and then have fn display the controls?
Again I'm not at my computer so I'm just guessing, trying to be helpful.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I don't know of a way, which is why I'm leaving fn set at "function keys", since I actually need those, and don't even know what the "expanded control strip" stuff does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.