Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
How can I get this effect? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9611snapriot.jpg
    IMG_9611snapriot.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 173

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It's called "panning". You do the same thing with a video camera, except when you take photos at a low enough shutter speed, you get that sort of background. However, if you point the camera so that it follows the motion of the car, the car is still in focus. In other words, point your camera at the car as it moves from your right side, to your left (just like in the photo). You need to follow the car, or "pan with the car" perfectly to ensure that the car is perfectly in focus. If you have a DSLR, then just focus on the side mirror, driver side window or something as it moves from right to left. Continue panning while you take the photo.

Actually, as long as one thing in the image isn't movie (relative to your camera), while another part of your image (eg: the background) IS moving relative to the camera, you'll get this blur.

I'll show you. This shot has the motion blur you're talking about at the sides, and yet the train itself is perfectly in focus. I'm not moving with respect to the train, but all the trees and stuff outside the train are moving, since the train was moving.

Attachments

• motion blur.jpg
    motion blur.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 130

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I saw a video on YouTube.
The guy mounted the on a tripod securely on the car bonnet (I think it just sat there actually). Then he used a slow shutter speed and pushed the car slowly for a few seconds.

Doing it like this means no relative movement between the camera and the car giving you a clearer image of the car, but you can't get as far back from the car as in the photo you posted.

GuyNextDoor

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think y'all are overcomplicating this.

This shot is taken from a second vehicle, riding alongside the white car, both at the same speed. A smooth highway minimizes camera shake and the speed of the cars takes care of blurring everything else (Similar to example shot Abstract shows, but imagine camera in one train car, shooting next car down). Panning is a useful technique to master, but not necessary for this shot.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Doing it like this means no relative movement between the camera and the car giving you a clearer image of the car, but you can't get as far back from the car as in the photo you posted.

Yeppers, they do shoot car adverts like this. I saw one being done for a Volkswagen.......the crazy expensive one that's, understandably, not very popular. Apparently, they were making the ad in Sydney because it was snowing in Germany. It was a German ad for the German market.

Two guys pushed the car as the camera was held on this "arm" sticking far away from the car. All very cool to watch. They did it under Sydney Harbour Bridge.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I think y'all are overcomplicating this.

This shot is taken from a second vehicle, riding alongside the white car, both at the same speed. A smooth highway minimizes camera shake and the speed of the cars takes care of blurring everything else (Similar to example shot Abstract shows, but imagine camera in one train car, shooting next car down). Panning is a useful technique to master, but not necessary for this shot.

+1 - This is clearly a case of one car being photographed from another. You may can get this effect by panning, but with both cars traveling at the same speed it will come out better.

I've taken motorcycle photos for fellow riders like this. Camera rig mounted to the back seat of the bike, remote fired shutter. Slower shutter speed, high vehicle speed ... it's interesting playing with different shutter speed vs vehicle speeds.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Lie down in the back on an estate car with the boot open (make sure you're secure!). Both cars drive off at the same speed, shoot away. The car speed doesn't need to be fast, so long as you use a slower shutter speed.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Lie down in the back on an estate car with the boot open (make sure you're secure!). Both cars drive off at the same speed, shoot away. The car speed doesn't need to be fast, so long as you use a slower shutter speed.

I've got an estate car, may try it on the M6 around spaghetti junction. Oh hang on, none of the cars will be moving :D

Still, back to panning, is something I'm going to try and master.

then one day maybe able to pull off a shot like this panning shots

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
I did this same thing on the long road home from buying my D300, I lowered the shutter speed and shot a semi truck as we were going side by side the same speed. The wheels were blurred (as well as the road) but the truck was perfect focus.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Nice shots and a great location (when it's not raining that is!). I managed to get this from the same area (more info on http://www.lowfly.net). I feel the need to go back soon.

Nice shot of the Hawk, and nice to see one not painted red.

That's awesome. I like subtle blur like that more than the extreme motion blur.

You know I didn't take the pictures, would love to have that talent.

It is however a stunning place, when the sun is out :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.