Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

I have been using every single Windows iteration (included Windows Vista and 8) since the days of Windows 95, however I fell in love with macOS on 2010, while using Snow Leopard, back in university.
It was love at first sight, and to this day my main work machine has always been a mac (with a humble windows laptop on the side, just in case).
This intro was necessary to let you know how much I love macOS.

That said one thing I hhave been finding quite infuriating is the way macOS handles folders, specifically the window size and the snap to grid function.
Despite having set my defaults int he view menu the first thing after formatting my system, My windows change size all the time, I get folders being outside the confines of the finder frame, like this:

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 12.43.21.png

And despite having selected the snap to grid function function, when I create a new folder it is created in the exact point I click and I have to move it manually for it to allign to the grid.

Basically almost every time I open a folder I have to right-click "clean up by name" and manually resize the window, which becomes infuriating if needed to be done hundreds of times a day.
Here's an example:

Lastly, when I delete a folder, a gap remains in the finder, forcing me to do the infamous "rightclick - clean up by name" thing.
Wouldn't there be a way to automate this?

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 13.05.39.png

I swear, macOS has been developing for millennia, and yet its most important component (the finder) still isn't nearly as good as it could be.

I'd just like to have a simple solution like in windows, where all the folders are always alligned inside the explorer frame and always in grid when I create a new one.
I have been noticing this thing throughout Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura.

Do you have any ideas on how to solve it?
I fail to remember, but I don't think I was plagued with this on High Sierra and earlier (I jumped from High Sierra to Big Sur).

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hmm...I'm on Big Sur and I don't have/get any of those problems. It all works the way that you(JippaLippa) want it to
Then I don't understand...
I'm not writing from some hackintosh or whatnot, this happens on my M1 Ultra Mac Studio on Ventura (it was the same on Moneterey and on Big sur, also on my M1 Mini).

I really don't understand...

Grimper

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Hit Command-J with a Finder window open, turn on "Sort by Name". Then click "Use as Default".

CuteBaby

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
Selecting the 'Snap to Grid' option tells the Finder "I want to manually position the icons in this folder, and when I do so, I want them to snap to the grid and stay in position." So, it is working exactly as you have set it to do.

That's why there can be folders outside the bounds of the window, and why there are gaps when you delete folders. All of the icons are staying exactly where you had manually snapped them into position!

As for new folders not automatically snapping into position, it's because you are using the right-click method of creating a new folder. By doing so, you are telling the Finder "I want to create a folder where my cursor is."

If, instead of using the right-click method, you go to the File menu and select New Folder, or use its keyboard shortcut ⌘-Shift-N to create a new folder, you will see that it automatically snaps to the grid, but keep in mind that it will decide on the position on its own, since you have not specified one. So in the end, you might still have to move it anyway.

In your video example, you are using the right-click method, and only creating folders in large empty spaces, while expecting them to snap into position. But what if you were to right-click in an area that is filled with folders, with no space for a new folder? It wouldn't be able to snap into position where your cursor is.

So the assumption here is that, for better or worse, to ensure consistency, Apple has decided to not to invoke automatic snapping when you use the right-click method, which, as a reminder, means "I want to create a folder where my cursor is."

If you would like the Finder to behave exactly as you expect, where (1) the icons are always sorted by name, (2) there are no gaps when you delete folders, (3) icons automatically wrap to stay within the visible area of the window, and (4) new folders automatically snap to the grid, then as already suggested by Grimper, you simply need to select the 'Name' option for Sort, instead of 'Snap to Grid'.

Reactions: Gregg2 and gilby101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.