Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I figured how to initiate split screen from the dock. But what if one of the apps isn't in the dock? In iOS 10 I could swipe from the right and that would show all eligible applications. Is there something similar in iOS 11

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I figured how to initiate split screen from the dock. But what if one of the apps isn't in the dock? In iOS 10 I could swipe from the right and that would show all eligible applications. Is there something similar in iOS 11
You will need to move it to the dock or use recent apps. Recent apps will be on the right side and show a recently opened app. Open it and then it will be available. Long term it will need to be in the dock if you want to use it for split screen.

Reactions: iop

Titleist

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Same. Was hoping for an answer. Seems like if its not in the dock we’re out of luck.

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
You can drag an app icon from the home screen and use another finger to open another app. Also you can drag app from home screen onto an app space in the app switcher wait for it to animate slide over and release.

Finally if you have a keyboard attached you can initiate spotlight search (Cmd + space bar) and drag an app from there.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You can drag an app icon from the home screen and use another finger to open another app. Also you can drag app from home screen onto an app space in the app switcher wait for it to animate slide over and release.

Finally if you have a keyboard attached you can initiate spotlight search (Cmd + space bar) and drag an app from there.

This right here is the answer.

Hopefully MR puts up some articles on this again. It would help a lot of people out.

panar

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013

How? Can you post a video?

Reactions: Ravi_MR

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

You can drag from homescreen. Take icon of app A and start dragging it. With the other hand (while still holding app A) open app B. Drag A to either side of the screen. Multitasking without using the dock! :)

Ravi_MR

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
I can’t take a video at present but I made a screen recording if it is any help. I don’t have a keyboard so I can’t demo the search method.

Thanks a lot!
The only 'problem' I have with this is, when I tap one app from home screen and start dragging it, it first appears as if it is moving away from its position; Thankfully, once I drop it with another app into multi-tasking, the first app retains it's position in the home screen - where it originally was. Still, wish there was a better way to do this..

iop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Thank you everyone for helping figure it out! I had tried moving icons on the home screen but I didn't realize I had to tap the second app in order to open both instead of creating a folder :) It's not super intuitive but I understand why Apple had to do it this way. I think they just need to add a way to combine open apps from the task manager.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014

Also in case you are not aware, you can move the slide over app from left to right side of screen by swiping (left or right) on the bar at the top of the app. You can also swipe from the sides of the slide over app to do the same thing and can do a big swipe to the right to swipe it off the screen and then later swipe from right edge of screen to bring it back just like iOS 9 and 10.

If you pull down on the bar it goes from slide over to split screen and vice versa. You can even switch split screen apps from one side of the screen to the other by grabbing and swiping left or right on the bar at the top.

And of course you can resize the split screen by swiping on the grey bar dividing the apps.

I hope that makes sense. Here is a screen recording:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravi_MR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.