Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Hi all,

My 10.5 iPad bent slightly in my backpack, then proceeded to bend more and more until it would no longer turn on. Apple refused to repair it, of course, and so I paid for a replacement. Six months later the 'new' iPad suddenly has lines all across the display and will no longer work.

Apple again refused to repair it and said the warranty was 3 months. I can pay again to claim and trade in for a new one.

Ahem. Not a good experience or track record, paying this much for a 512 GB device and having the new one fail as well. No damage this time around. My point is this: since Apple refused to repair it, I took it to a third party shop. They said that the 'new' iPad Pro that I got from Apple was not new at all, and had been heavily refurbished!!!

Since Apple refuses any repairs - how are we supposed to know whether they give us a new one or not? Has anyone looked into this?

I'm not going to buy a new one. This is too much money and too poor of service. Samsung is almost 50% cheaper, comes with a stylus, the keyboard is 50% cheaper, and even dropping it, it suffered no damage. I treated this new iPad Pro like a Disney Princess and it still found a way to die and leave me with nothing but distaste and disappointment regarding Apple.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Replacement units from Apple are almost always refurbished. Repair shops that take apart devices can easily tell reworked logic boards. The average customer thinks Apple replacement devices are new because it has a shiny new enclosure and box.

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Actually, I was uncomfortable because I got no box and no paperwork, but I did see that the box was plain cardboard, not a new package.

Now it has failed and I have given up. No more MacBook Pros, no more iPad Pros. They treat me this bad after 16 years of buying TONS of Apple phones, tablets, laptops and iMacs. My gosh. You reap what you sow.

Bangkok is Hot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Bangkok
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and went in to replace my iPad Pro 10.5. The service person said because a 3rd party opened it, they will not accept it for exchange and quoted me a price which is more than buying a new 11 inch!!!

I really don't believe them. Six months ago I exchanged my iPad Pro 10.5, and it had also been opened. Inconsistent service, but consistently unfair and bad. I'll go check another iService center, but there is no way I'm going to buy a new one. I already got rid of all my MacBookPros, so if they push me away from this iPad, all I have left is my iPhone and my iMac, and will give serious second and third thoughts before I buy anything Apple again. I've always loved the products, but they are totally taking advantage of me and treating me badly to boot!

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I had my iPad replaced and several other Apple stuff and like JPack said these are replacements. Every time it's a cardboard box. Most people don't return all the stuff i.e. box when they go to an Apple store to have their devices replaced. Plus it would cost Apple more to have the original boxes available. Refurbs comes with all the accessories.

In the event that the product is not available, I've gotten an upgrade which was in a plain box. It really depends too what they have in stock. If they have replacements, then you will get that. If not then they will go with a newer or upgraded model. I don't see why you don't believe them?

Your first post - You can plug in the Serial no. and that will tell you when it first purchased. Also you can check your service receipts when you took it into Apple. The service receipt will have REPLACEMENT SERIEL NO. .........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.