Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
In the process of transferring my data from an iPhone 6s (with a broken "Home" button) to my "new" iPhone 6, I was prompted to enter the password for an Apple ID that I recognized but isn't mine.

My new iPhone isn’t actually new, but it was wiped clean. The owner of the Apple ID I was prompted to enter the password for had never used the device.

Both the old phone (6s & 6) have 12.1.4.

Is there any possible & reliable way (maybe 3rd party software?) that would be able to show me what item/purchase from the iTunes store is in my iCloud back-up and is associated with the Apple ID that isn’t mine?

More details in case there isn't a quick/simple answer to the question above...

I turned on my “new” iPhone. With my new & old iPhone being close together, I was prompted to upload the data from my old iPhone with the broken home button & iCloud back-up.

I confirmed this and my data started transferring.

After being prompted for & entering the passwords for two of my Apple ID’s, I was prompted to enter the password for an Apple ID again except this time it was for an account that doesn’t belong to me.

It wasn’t a mysterious account that I didn’t recognize—it was a person that used to live with me. And just to be clear—I am NOT friends with this person anymore.

The prompt said, “This iCloud back-up includes purchases from the iTunes store that were made with a different Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID password for mysoon2beexwifesaccount@mac.com

Why did I get this prompt in this instance? I know for certain that I didn’t get this prompt when I set-up the iPhone with the now-broken home button and I bought that phone and set it up long after she had moved out. Why would I be getting a prompt like this now?

I’m not even sure what question I should be asking here, but I want to be sure my account & devices are secure.

How can I see exactly what item/purchase from the iTunes store is in my iCloud back-up and associated with “mysoon2beexwifesaccount@mac.com” and caused me to get this prompt?

If there is something in my hardware/software/account/back-up, how can I be sure that it doesn’t get onto my new device?

Here are a few relevant details about my previous & current hardware:

—she DID have physical access to an iPhone that I used when we lived together & I trusted her, but that phone took a swim
—she DID have physical access to a MacBook Pro, and an iMac that I still use
—I caught her attempting to access my devices & accounts during the last few months we lived together
—I changed the hard drives of the the MacBook Pro and the iMac that she had physical access to and did a fresh install of the OS
—she has NOT had physical access to either of the two iPhone’s that I have now (I bought the device that now has the broken home button months after she moved out so it has to be “clean” unless she sent ninja spies into my home or workplace

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi
great story and details.
im not sure if my situation is meaningfully different or not, but about 2 years back i received a similar sounding message when i bought a completely new iPhone (direct from apple).
the "other" apple account it asked a password for was for app purchases that i made in a different app store (different country). in my case, both apple ids were mine to be sure, but based in different (countries) app stores.
this hasn't happened a 2nd time, even though i changed phones again. that 2nd time it just treated all apps the same and didn't ask for the other password). more recently i dont even need to log in to the other app store account to update that store's apps, as several years ago it was asking me to do.

HiDood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
I've asked in a few different places where the best place to find help for advanced Mac help and MacRumors was the answer I kept getting. I really hope that someone here might be able to help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.