Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Hey all,

I've always shot Canon point and shoot cameras, and Nikon DSLRs. In general, I've spent little time post-processing images from either type of camera, beyond simple exposure compensation. I try to 'get it right' in the camera shot itself, rather than spend a lot of time working on the images later on the computer. I've generally shoot jpegs, and haven't worked with RAW images.

I've noticed that I greatly like the slightly saturated look of the 'vivid' setting on my canon point and shoot cameras for all sorts of scenes. Colors (skin, water, skies) appear vibrant, without feeling unnatural. The nikon vivid setting, however, I don't like at all, as it seems to saturate things in a very magenta-y way. As a result I shoot my Nikon's on the neutral setting.

Is there a straightforward way to post-process (or even process in camera) my nikon shots to have the same saturated tonality as the canon vivid setting? Are there curves or some such that are available to do such a thing?
I realize that I could probably experiment around and see if I could recreate the sort of tonality that I like from the Canons, but if there's an easy way to just import it, I'd happily take that route.

Thanks for any thoughts. I would shoot raw if needed, though my core duo MBP is maxed out at 2 GB of ram, and the Aperture 3 trial was so slow as to be unusable, even with a tiny library.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You can apply custom tone curves to most Nikon DSLRs.

See cf:

http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/

Personally, I'd rather process each raw image in RPP, where i have control over the look (and I find myself using the Kodachrome 64 tonal curves more than anything else.) I tend to set a camera default then a folder default adjustment to balance color, saturation, white balance, exposure and contrast.

Paul

RexII

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
custom-foto-color-curves

Paul, your embedded lead was very informative to me.
What is you address, via my e-mail, so I may repay you
for the temporary use of your brain? Teddy Rex II

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.